Naloxone Access & Experience Survey
Help out researchers at Emory University School of Medicine by answering a short 5-15 minute survey on your thoughts about and experiences with naloxone and opiates. [ Go To Survey ]
Alright Then
Salvia splendens
by The Doc
Citation:   The Doc. "Alright Then: An Experience with Salvia splendens (exp64159)". Erowid.org. Oct 18, 2007. erowid.org/exp/64159

1 leaf sublingual Salvia splendens (fresh)

Well, I read about Splendens on the interweb (where else?) and was immediately intrigued by its non-scheduled-ness and its readily-availability. I was further delighted to know that it was growing just down the street from my school, naturally, I had to pick some. Please note that what I did could be considered 'stealing', but I'm sure there has been far worse documented without the use of a disclaimer, so I will continue without further delay. I have had a fair amount of experience with substances, ranging from Marijuana to Codeine, to benzos, to Propylhexedrine, to Addy, etc etc etc. However, I have never had any experience with any of the Salvia-family plants, such as the ever-growing-in-popularity Salvia Divinorum, and reading that Splendens was less intense the aforementioned, I was quite comfortable with this experimentation.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I picked ~20 leaves and chose a medium-sized one to use sublingually. I tore off the stem, rolled it up, and shoved it under my tongue as best I could. I just let my saliva run up into the ball of plant matter and get washed down my throat as I swallowed. After about five minutes, I could begin to feel a slight anxiolysis coming on. At about 20 minutes, the effects peaked. The only thing I could really compare it to was, perhaps, subling-ing ~1-2mg of Clonazepam, minus the dis-coordination. HOWEVER, I will say that it produced this sort of 'clarity'. I don't believe in a lot of this spiritual mumbo-jumbo that many people tie-closely to substances, but the feeling it produced was like lifting a dark, translucent film from my train of thought, a film that most likely came from my recent over-indulgence in marijauna. After the general backdrop of anxiolysis fell away (after about 1.5 hours, I 'buccal'd' it for about 25 minutes), I was left with this 'clarity'.

I thoroughly enjoyed this experiment and will soon be re-visiting this very interesting plant.

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 64159
Published: Oct 18, 2007Views: 6,461
Salvia splendens (181) : Alone (16), First Times (2)