Erowid relies on the generosity of the public for funding.
Please, include Erowid Center in your charitable giving!
Almost There...
Salvia divinorum
by Shazaam
Citation:   Shazaam. "Almost There...: An Experience with Salvia divinorum (exp6022)". Erowid.org. Feb 8, 2002. erowid.org/exp/6022

Salvia divinorum (plant material)

Last night I tried salvia for the first time. It was given to me by a friend, and I was anxious to try it. I'm a regular pot smoker (about 2-3 times daily) and I've tripped on acid and mushies many times. In talking to my friend, I gathered that this was less like tripping and more like meditation. I haven't meditated in years, so I was excited to try salvia and maybe have a cool experience.

I was in my room and I took a few hits from my bubbler, holding each one about 20 seconds. By the time I let out the second hit, I was feeling pretty strange, almost like nitrous, but not as brain-clouding. I could still think, and I wanted to lie down. I got into bed and closed my eyes. I could feel my mind being pulled upward, into a vortex. At the corners of my mind, there were these things that were like flowers, but more geometrical. There were spiralling shapes that weren't really visible, but were perceptible. At this point, as I was being pulled from my body, my mind kept holding on to reality. This is the hard thing about meditation for me. If the conditions aren't perfect, I can't let myself completely float out of reality, and this was a case of that. My housemates were watching TV in the other room, and my room was cold, and I couldn't get comfortable in my bed, etc... I'm sure that without these physical distractions I could have completely departed from the real into that other world into which I was being pulled. I'm going to try again tonight and see if I can really go.

This stuff isn't like other drugs. It's not even like weed. I could tell that it wasn't DOING things to me, not like hallucinogens, but it was opening a window that I could choose to crawl through if I wanted to. I felt very safe and in control the whole time.

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 6022
Published: Feb 8, 2002Views: 3,353
Salvia divinorum (44) : First Times (2), General (1), Alone (16)