Stunning Huichol Yarn Art
Donate $500 or more and get a beautiful Huichol yarn
painting, hand made by Huichol artists in Mexico.
They make fabulous gifts! (12 & 24 inch pieces available.)
Stupid At The Wheel
Inhalants: Butane
by Tamara
Citation:   Tamara. "Stupid At The Wheel: An Experience with Inhalants: Butane (exp5908)". Erowid.org. Apr 1, 2001. erowid.org/exp/5908

inhaled Inhalants (gas)

[Erowid Note: Our understanding of the literature is that there is no such thing as safe recreational use of volatile solvents, aerosols and other street inhalants : their psychoactive effects are inseparable from nerve and organ damage. We have chosen to include these reports to help document the real world use of inhalants, but their inclusion is not intended to imply that they are anything but dangerous.]

It was only my second time huffing Butane. (The first time I tried it, it didn't do anything to me.) I was driving and huffing at the same time. The Butane made me pass out, and when I woke up I was in a car wreck. I was on the wrong side of the road, my car and the other car were totaled, and there were ambulances and police cars everywhere. When I first came to, I had no idea where I was or what was going on, and I was in so much pain I couldn't move. It all felt like a really, really bad dream, and I wish it was...

The paramedics put a neck-brace on me, put an 'oxygen-tube' in my nose, put me on a stretcher, and took me to the hospital. I had to get 8 stitches in the back of my head because when I crashed, the speaker in the back of my car flew forward and cut my head all the way to the skull. My collarbone and part of my chest were burned and bruised from my seatbelt (but I'm glad I was wearing it). I wasn't hurt very seriously, but I was lucky.

I found out that the other car was being driven by a 17-year-old girl, and her little brother had been in the passenger seat. They didn't die, but they were hurt worse than I was. I felt so bad, and so stupid. I never meant to hurt anybody...

[Erowid Note: Driving while intoxicated, tripping, or extremely sleep deprived is dangerous and irresponsible because it endangers other people. Don't do it!]

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 5908
Published: Apr 1, 2001Views: 28,119
Inhalants (29) : Unknown Context (20), Train Wrecks & Trip Disasters (7), Difficult Experiences (5)