Have Psychedelics Changed Your Beliefs
about Death or Dying?
Have you had a psychedelic drug experience that altered
your beliefs or understanding about death and dying?
Take the Johns Hopkins Survey about your experience!
Coffee Alternative
Yerba Mate
by Herbfiend
Citation:   Herbfiend. "Coffee Alternative: An Experience with Yerba Mate (exp58050)". Erowid.org. Mar 8, 2007. erowid.org/exp/58050

15 g oral Yerba Mate (tea)

My experiences with the herb have always been linked to sharing and caring. I first heard about it while working at a coffee shop. I knew tea, green tea especially, can be more of a uplifting stimulant than coffee's beatdown high. I first tried the tea in a bag. About half an hour latter I started to feel really giddy and happy. I was sold on it and continued to use it daily in bag steepings.

After a while I decided to experiment with cold water infusions. I steeped a quarter pound for 3 days. The resulting brew was like a concentrate! It started to give me heart burn, so I would cut it with a little water. I then went back to making it hot, but this time in the traditional gourd and straw manner. Filling a gourd half way with herb and half steaming water delivers an all day session sure to keep me in a good mood. Occasionally, I bring the gourd to a party and share with friends. The stimulating effects can enhance some other buzzes quite nicely (especially weed). Those times every one stays up all night and no one ever realizes!

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 58050