More than 2 million people use Erowid every month.
Only 250 of those contribute $1 or more.
If you use Erowid, Please Donate.
They Said it was Non-Addictive
Seroxat Paroxetine
by Lucy
Citation:   Lucy. "They Said it was Non-Addictive: An Experience with Seroxat Paroxetine (ID 5764)". Erowid.org. Mar 20, 2001. erowid.org/exp/5764

20 mg oral Pharms - Paroxetine (pill / tablet)

My doctor told me that this medication was non-addictive. Even when I described the physical and mental effects I was experiencing from withdrawl, she insisted that this was due only to the bodies struggle to rid itself of a chemical. If this is not addiction then what is? It soon became obvious to me that, after taking the pills for a month, the patient knows far more about them that the doctor and they are, in effect, on their own.

Two weeks ago I took my last half-tablet after gradually reducing the amount I was taking. The side-effects I have experienced are as follows:

1. Panic attacks far worse than I experienced before going onto the drug.
2. disorientation and trouble keeping my balance.
3. Involuntary crying and the feeling that I cannot cope with the slightest problem.
4. Depression and sleeplessness.
5. Stomach cramps and sickness.
6. Dizziness when standing up.
7. Tiredness and mood swings.

I am posting this message because the withdrawl of this so-called non-addictive drug makes you feel as though this is the 'normal' state the patient is returning to. As though this disorientation, that makes you feel 'crazy' and out-of-touch with the world is how you are going to feel forever. But this is not the case as i am realising as the time since taking my last tablet increases. My father took Vallium in the sixties and was told at the time it was a non-addictive drug. This is now obviously not the case and I wonder if, in time, the same might be true of paroxetine. The withdrawl effects are severe enough to warrant further tests I'm sure.

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 5764