Do you think you might have HPPD?
Take this survey out of University of East London,
which attempts to understand the inner experiences of
people with lasting perceptual changes from use of
psychoactive drugs, (diagnosed or not). It investigates
factors that could create distress or effect quality of life.
The Toss
by Andy
Citation:   Andy. "The Toss: An Experience with Datura (exp56161)". Oct 19, 2006.

  oral Datura (seeds)
  2 joints/cigs smoked Datura (leaves)


Hello. My first experience with Datura Stramonium at the age of 17 was very strange, and life-changing. It all started one day with me and some friends visiting this very experienced drug user, lets call him Steve. Steve was about 2 or 3 years older than me. He told us that he had found some jimson weed near the local community college in the area we all lived in. He offered us to try some jimsonweed with him, but they were too scared and said not today.

I was surprised because the 2 guys I showed up with were very experienced and had tripped on LSD and mushrooms with me many times before. At that moment, when they turned down the offer, I thought I would be brave and said I would try it. At the moment of my acceptance of ingesting the jimson weed with Steve, I had done no research whatsoever on datura, and didn't even know the chemical name or the dangers of this drug called 'jimson weed'.

Steve handed me a bottle cap, the size of a normal 20 oz. soda bottle cap, full of datura seeds (Steve said there were roughly 50-60 seeds in it), and I quickly placed them in my mouth and chewed them up, then swallowed them with a small swig of water. After eating the seeds, Steve ate his cap full of seeds, then we all set off to go for a cruise and smoke some marijuana. When we got into the car, Steve pulled out 2 really fat joints of dried datura leaves. Just as I had not declined the ingestion of the datura seeds, I smoked joyfully the 2 fat joints with Steve until they were ashed away and gone.

After hanging out with all my friends for a little while, I decided to go home and go to bed, a little disappointed that I was not tripping or hallucinating yet from the very large dose of datura that day. Sometime during the night, I woke up, and started hallucinating. I began talking on a non-existent phone in my room for many minutes in my room, and I heard a voice on the other line. The rest of the night was blurry, partly from amnesia I later found out, but when day break came, and it was light outside and in my room, the real hallucinations began to reveal themselves to me. The first thing that happened that morning was I noticed that I was smoking a cigarette in my room, and knowing at the same time that my house is non-smoking. I took a few puffs off the cigarette, and blew the smoke out, and actually saw the smoke, then a few moments later, I looked down at my hand and the cigarette wasn't there!

Later on, I began to see one of my friends from high school that sat at my lunch table. He was sitting on my bed, and we began talking, and I told him all about how Steve gave me jimson weed and that I was hallucinating really bad at the moment. While talking to my friend that wasn't really there, my mother came into my room and said 'Who are you talking to?' After looking at her, and realizing her question, I looked back at where my friend was sitting on my bed, and was bewildered because he was not there anymore. This really confused me, and at that moment, I realized that I was having full-blown hallucinations. I told my mother I was talking to myself to placate her, then she closed my door.

After this run-in with my mother, I tried to be more quiet and composed as to not worry her.(After my mother heard me tell my friend on the bed that I got the jimsonweed from Steve, my mother called Steve's mother, and told her all about what had happened. Steve's mother told Steve, then one day at high school, Steve showed up and slammed me against the wall, because he thought I ratted him out. I explained to him exactly what had happened, and that my mother had overheard. He then understood and apologized.)

I closed my bedroom door to avoid anymore confrontations of my distorted and loose reality with my mother's all-too-real reality. Later on, I glanced at my bed and saw 2 very beautiful girls that also sat at my lunch table that year in high school. They eventually dissipated into thin air like the cigarettes and my other friend. After all of these visions, I thought to myself that I better check my eyes and see if they are red and/or dilated, so I went in front of the mirror and looked into it. Without even catching a glimpse of my face, my current history teacher was in place of my image, and he said 'Hey Andy! How's it going?' This really frightened me, so I sat down for a little and took a few deep breathes.

A little later I walked out to the kitchen for a drink of water. While in the kitchen, I looked over to the fridge, and saw my brother was standing there in his boxers and a t-shirt, and looking into a food-stocked fridge. I had noticed that with my other hallucinations, if I looked away from the actual hallucination that was in my vision, and looked back at the place where the vision was, the hallucination would disappear. Just to make sure this image of my brother was real, I looked away for a split-second, and looked back quickly. I was amazed to see my brother was gone and the fridge door was completely closed. It was at this moment that I felt something was really wrong. My parents decided that the best thing to do was to go to the hospital.

While they were taking me there, I was fully awake and clear-minded, except for 15 seconds during the trip where I had total amnesia. My parents later said that for 15 or so seconds I thought my dad and mom in the front seats were the 2 guys that took me to Steve's house the night before, and that I began talking to my parents as if they were my friends. Directly after this slight amnesia, I snapped out of it and everything was normal the rest of the day, and I had no recollection of this 10-15 second memory loss. When I got to the hospital, my father waited in the waiting room, and I was placed with my mother in a small room generally made for psychiatric inpatient holding in the emergency room. While waiting in this small room with the door ajar, I heard the sound of a heart monitor beeping like normal.

After a few seconds, the beeping noises turned into one solid continuing tone of BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. After hearing this continuing tone, a few nurses and a doctor rushed to the room, but it seamed that the person died, because then I heard a few people crying, and all the beeping noises stopped. This experience was very surreal, because my mother had also heard and saw what happened to this person in the ER. A nurse eventually came into my room, and told me that I had ingested a strong poison, and that I should be OK because I was displaying no more symptoms of hallucinations. The nurse told me to never do this drug again. She offered me some medication to help me sleep, but I declined, and my parents and I went home.

This experience with Datura was very strange, rewarding in a small aspect of life, and very dangerous.

Exp Year: 2002ExpID: 56161
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: Not Given 
Published: Oct 19, 2006Views: 14,462
[ View as PDF (for printing) ] [ View as LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Switch Colors ]
Datura (15) : Entities / Beings (37), Train Wrecks & Trip Disasters (7), Alone (16)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission prior to your downloading the data.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults