BDO Withdrawal
1,4-Butanediol
by Skware
Citation:   Skware. "BDO Withdrawal: An Experience with 1,4-Butanediol (exp5613)". Erowid.org. Jan 18, 2002. erowid.org/exp/5613

oral 1,4-Butanediol (daily)

Three times in my life I have suddenly 'run out' of BDO while taking daily doses, and the withdrawal symptoms are truly horrible. For 7 days, I will not sleep, I will feel VERY paranoid, very anxious, shiver, and everything I taste, see, touch and smell seems bland or repulsive. I will also lose a good deal of weight after the first 3-4 days. I may feel phantom pain, hear 'water' sloshing inside my body, and feel my heart going 180 BPM, but these are all just products of anxiety. Example: having a 2nd person check my heart rate will show it is 60-80 bpm.

Instead of quitting cold turkey, I try to start spacing extra hours between doses -- 4, 6, 8, and so on. It will be uncomfortable, but not impossible. To let myself down easily can take as long as 3 weeks, but it's the safest way. The only alternative is to just quit and have a handy supply of xanax/valium on hand.

About the sleep thing. I may sleep, but it will only be for a few hours a night, and I will feel completely aware during that time. My body rests calmly, but my mind is humming. If I get any rest at all, I think it'sbecause my mind switches into some quick sort of 'reverie' that keeps my body from falling apart.

In short - be careful. This stuff is sneaky.

Exp Year: 1998ExpID: 5613
Published: Jan 18, 2002Views: 17,718
1,4-Butanediol (51) : Addiction & Habituation (10), Not Applicable (38)