Stunning Huichol Yarn Art
Donate $150 or more and get a beautiful Huichol yarn
painting, hand made by Huichol artists in Mexico.
They make fabulous gifts! (6, 8, 12 & 24 inch pieces available.)
What's the Fuss?
Tryptophan - 5-HTP
by Patanjali
Citation:   Patanjali. "What's the Fuss?: An Experience with Tryptophan - 5-HTP (exp54567)". Erowid.org. Oct 27, 2006. erowid.org/exp/54567

800 mg oral Tryptophan - 5-HTP (daily)

I must preface this by noting that I have never used any 'hard' recreational pharmaceutical at all.

I started taking 5-HTP in an attempt to control severe insomnia. After cautiously starting at the recommended 2 x 50mg daily and finding absolutely no effects after 14 days, I started to gradually ramp up the dosage over a period of about 3 months until arriving at my current dosage of 2 x 100mg 4 times daily (800mg per day total). Even at this high dose I am finding it difficult to tell whether there are any effects at all! The most I can say is that perhaps my REM sleep (and therefore my dreaming intensity) has diminished slightly but otherwise there is no measurable effect at all. The insomnia is still more or less as it was.

I intend to persevere with this stuff but have somewhat unpleasant side effects.

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 54567
Published: Oct 27, 2006Views: 15,145
Tryptophan - 5-HTP (196) : Retrospective / Summary (11), Small Group (2-9) (17)