Threshold Sleep
Datura stramonium
by Komrade
Citation:   Komrade. "Threshold Sleep: An Experience with Datura stramonium (exp5291)". Erowid.org. Feb 22, 2001. erowid.org/exp/5291

1.5 tsp oral Datura (leaves)

Had some time to experiment with Datura that's been kicking around for a few weeks.

Boiled a cup of water with 1.5 teaspoons of dried datura leaves for a few minutes. Poured off the amber liquid and added milk and honey. Tasted not too bad... (11:30pm)

At T+1:00 or so my heart is beating noticeably stronger, though not much faster. I notice my vision is a little tweaky and decide to head over to my room. My balance is basically gone, my weight feels concentrated about my shoulders and I feel really tippy. I jostle my doorframe on the way into my room, I must look really disoriented to an outsider, though my head seems relatively 'clear'. I listen to a bit of music and then fall asleep.

As soon as I close my eyes, I drift off to a dreamstate. My dreaming seems vivid and intense, though I remember none of it, though I can remember the sensation of a lot going on.

I wake up the next day at about noon. I feel perfectly normal, though my pupils are still considerably dilated. I make some cereal for breakfast and go to read the newspaper, when, I realize I have forgotten about one of the noted side-effects of anti-cholinergics. My focus is pushed back to about 2 feet from my face! I feel like an old man, everything is perfectly clear until it starts to get too close, I have to hold the paper at arm's length to be able to read any of the text. Thankfuly, I am extremely short sighted (-5.0 diopter) and I find that by taking off my glasses I can see detail close to me, but that everything else is blurry (as usual). Thus, I spent the day continually removing and replacing my glasses. I could read again by about midningt and my vision was baseline by about 3am. (T+27hours!)

This was obviously a threshold dose for psychoactive effects and though I'm curious to explore datura further I can't say that I will. Losing vision for days on end (as I've heard reported) is not an attractive side effect...that and some of these trips are damned scary....

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 5291
Published: Feb 22, 2001Views: 63,761
Datura (15) : Various (28), Preparation / Recipes (30), First Times (2)