More than 2 million people use Erowid every month.
During the pandemic, only 70 of those contribute $1 or more.
Donations are down significantly. Please Contribute.
A Universe of Spinning Light
Salvia divinorum & Nitrous Oxide
by Jamal
Citation:   Jamal. "A Universe of Spinning Light: An Experience with Salvia divinorum & Nitrous Oxide (exp52297)". Erowid.org. Dec 28, 2015. erowid.org/exp/52297

1 g smoked Salvia divinorum (extract)
    smoked Salvia divinorum (leaves)
  1 cart. inhaled Nitrous Oxide (gas)

Initial Experience With Salvia & Nitrous

Having done some successful and enjoyable experiments combining nitrous with marijuana, 2 friends & I decided to try nitrous with salvia. Of the 3 of us, I think I was the only one who'd previously had an especially strong reaction to salvia, and probably for that reason I was the one most interested in this experiment.

I took out about 3 grams of salvia 15x and divided it into 3 piles. My friends and I were sitting in my living room, which at the time was a quiet & relaxed setting, with dim, mellow lighting. I put on a CD of pleasant, uplifting electronic music that a friend had made years ago.

I promptly began to smoke my salvia, and then waited a couple minutes to see if it was taking effect. It didn't do much for me, so I fetched a bag of dried salvia leaves and smoked a couple of them. Theoretically, they should have been much weaker than my 15x extract, but for whatever reason I've found that they sometimes work better. This being one of those times: My living room became some sort of twisting forest path, and my body felt like it was likewise twisting and stretching in all directions. It was very pleasurable, and probably the most intense reaction I've ever had to salvia. I began to laugh hysterically, and continued to do so for what I would guess was a minute or two. I could tell that my friends were concerned about the wisdom of inhaling nitrous in this state
, but that only added to my laughing hysterics. I fumbled around & tried to grab at the little whipped cream maker that my friends & I always use to inhale our nitrous from. Eventually I was able to successfully pick it up and release a whip-it cartridge into its body. I put the spout in my mouth and inhaled the cartridge in one big breath, holding it in as long as I could. I then lay/fell backwards, and hit my head on a shelf: another incident that I supposed was disturbing to my friends, but hilarious to me.

By this point I wasn't really able to see the room anymore, everything just sort of went white. And I don't believe I was hearing the music either, just a droning hum. Then from the whiteness, some spinning colors appeared, somehow (don't ask me why) reminding me of wool mittens. I remember thinking to myself that I would never be able to properly explain the sights and feelings I was having, and how that didn't matter at all. From there, the lights took over completely. All that existed for me was a universe of spinning light. That's all there was, had been, or ever would be: spinning, multi-colored lights. I had no memories or notions of anything else. I was light, the universe was light, that was all, and that was wonderful. I don't know how long I stayed in that state. As I say, I believed it to be an eternity. I'm guessing that to my friends it was about 2 minutes. What eventually took me out of it was the troubling notion that perhaps something else does, or SHOULD exist. When that 1st occurred to me I was sure that it was a false concept, and I felt a bit concerned, like maybe an eternity of light wasn't fulfilling enough in some way. But I couldn't think of anything else that could possibly be. Then suddenly, I saw the boards that make up my wood floor, looked around, saw my legs, saw people sitting near me. I had no idea what, who or where I was, & was pretty sure it was all an illusion of some sort. I'm told that I swiveled my head back and forth for some time, with a look of absolute shock & bewilderment.

Eventually, some memories of my life came tumbling back, though I had trouble accepting them as anything close to 'real'. I was still 1/2 convinced that it was all a dream, and that I'd created this whole world and its inhabitants out of one thought. To get some verification I asked my friends if they had, indeed, existed for more than 5 minutes. They said they had, & I sort of believed them.

A couple minutes later and I was, amazingly, almost 100% sober. I had the feeling that some sort of safety switch in my brain had ended my vision just when it was was hovering on the verge of being more than I could handle. I'm still amazed that I could leave this world, enter another, and then come back to this one so remarkably quickly, and, seemingly, with no ill-effects (that I know of).

It was certainly one of the most mind blowing experience of my entire life, though much more short-lived than mushroom or acid trips. I can't really speak for my friends' experiences, as I was still too absorbed with my own to pay a lot of attention. I believe one of them found the drug combination unpleasant. He said the salvia made him extremely sad. And I don't think the other one had a particularly strong trip in general. But for myself, I can say that I'm quite glad I did it: it was thoroughly amazing, though it does seem to have psychological dangers. I don't know when or if I'll repeat the experiment, but either way it's given me a lot to mull over.

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 52297
Published: Dec 28, 2015Views: 1,455
Salvia divinorum (44), Nitrous Oxide (40) : Combinations (3), Small Group (2-9) (17)