Ltd Ed 'Solve et Elucido' Art Giclee
This fantastic reverberating giclee print is a gift for $500 donations supporting Erowid's mission. 12" x 12", stretched on canvas, the image wraps around the sides of the 1" thick piece. It's signed by artist Vibrata, and Erowid founders Earth & Fire.
First time skepticism quelled
Salvia divinorum (5x extract) & Nitrous Oxide
by Gumby
Citation:   Gumby. "First time skepticism quelled: An Experience with Salvia divinorum (5x extract) & Nitrous Oxide (exp497)". Erowid.org. Aug 7, 2000. erowid.org/exp/497

80 mg smoked Salvia divinorum (extract - 5x)

I have managed to experiment with many drugs despite the oppressive drug testing policy of my employer, and am always looking for more. After discovering information about Salvia as a legal gateway to other worlds, I was skeptical, but after finding it among Erowidís Vaults, I was somewhat re-assured, and went about obtaining some for experiments.

Being overly anxious to try Salvia, and validate itís potency, I found myself impatient waiting for my friend to return from the bars tonight. After surfing the web and infusing myself with knowledge, I decided I could wait no longer, and prepared to try without a sitter. This is NOT recommended, but things turned out. I loaded a traditional tobacco pipe with a small amount of cherry tobacco to act as a screen, loaded about 80 mg of Salvia 5X extract on top, and proceeded outside to the porch to eliminate any hazards of dropping the pipe and starting a fire with no-one in the house. I hyper-ventillated with 3 or 4 deep rapid breaths to allow me to hold the smoke longer, and took one hit from the pipe, saying to myself ďI hope this isnít bunkĒ. I held my breath for about a minute, and happily began feeling effects. It started with pulsating of sound, and mild visual disturbances (the bushes started looking very cool). I was afraid to smoke more since I didnít have a sitter, so I put the pipe down.

As I put my hands down on my lap, I could feel them going through my pants, as they had some sort of liquid property. I resisted the temptation to boost with another hit. Iím sure I didnít get the full 80 mg. After about five minutes of looking into the street, the effects starting waning, though I still perceived the pulsating sounds, and thought how similar that part of the effect was to my experiences with nitrous. I wandered inside, fairly unimpaired, and loaded a cylinder of nitrous. The effects set in very rapidly, with a tingling in my teeth, hands and toes after only 15 seconds. Closed eye visuals returned. I kept seeing black and purple, with patterns varying wildly on the periphery and diagonally through the center of my field of vision. In purple was written something I believe to be Lysergic Acid Amide but the whole middle of the phrase was overcome by the patterns. I am considering LSA from Morning Glory, so it has been implanted in my mind. The nitrous remained strong for about 5 minutes, and everything was over 20 minutes after first smoking.

Overall the experience was quite mild, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a legal experience like that. I canít wait to try a higher dose with a friend.

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 497
Published: Aug 7, 2000Views: 15,545
Salvia divinorum (44), Nitrous Oxide (40) : Alone (16), First Times (2), General (1)