Help us be a 2021 "Top Rated Nonprofit", and spread accurate info
about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
Melatonin and Stress Related Insomnia
Melatonin
by Dan
Citation:   Dan. "Melatonin and Stress Related Insomnia: An Experience with Melatonin (exp4943)". Erowid.org. Jan 31, 2001. erowid.org/exp/4943

1.5 mg oral Melatonin (pill / tablet)

I regularly suffer from insomnia (both problems getting to sleep and waking at about 4 am unable to get back to sleep). These difficulties are worse when I have a lot of work on, and appear directly related to my anxiety levels.

About a year ago, I started taking melatonin at 3mg to try to alleviate these problems, with great success, although I find that I have reduced the dose to 1.5 mg (half a tablet). I take this whenever I am frustrated or feel like I need a good nights sleep. The hormone is enormously helpful, and I have had no side effects except from drowsiness at the higher dose. I beleive I function better the day after than otherwise, and no longer suffer from fatigued irritation/irrational behaviour and or slight depression('grumpiness').

My personal experience with melatonin for jet lag is also excellent, with rapid readjustment to the new time zone and no symptoms of jet-lag.

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 4943
Published: Jan 31, 2001Views: 48,801
Melatonin (94) : Unknown Context (20), Health Benefits (32), Retrospective / Summary (11)