More than 2 million people use Erowid every month.
During the pandemic, only 70 of those contribute $1 or more.
Donations are down significantly. Please Contribute.
Quirky Hallucinations
Mushrooms - P. semilanceata
by Daedelus
Citation:   Daedelus. "Quirky Hallucinations: An Experience with Mushrooms - P. semilanceata (exp48562)". Erowid.org. May 30, 2007. erowid.org/exp/48562

20 caps oral Mushrooms - P. semilanceata (dried)

I discovered 'magic mushrooms' when I was living in the UK in 1980. Much earlier, I had tested LSD maybe 10 times, and had a lot of very unpleasant experiences…I later realised this was because I was uncertain what I intended doing with my life, and I had parents who expected far too much of me. I was anxious, more than I realised at age 17. I was more interested in 'reality research' (using the chemical keys which seem to have been left lying about by a kind, humorous Universal spirit!) than in proving myself academically, and this didn't fit their view of what a dutiful eldest son should be doing.

I was a teenager in the 60's, saw Hendrix live at Woburn Abbey on his return from recording Electric Ladyland in the USA, and took some of the original 'Operation Julie' LSD several times.

So, by 1980, I had left LSD 11 years back down the timeline, and had learned a lot about myself and the world. I was no longer an adolescent, under the scrutiny of a high achieving academician father, I had become a lot calmer and more accepting of myself, my strengths and weaknesses, and had also developed a worldview which was essentially humanist, with some eastern mystical and Buddhistic elements.

And, I got on great with girls! Isn't libido wonderful! (I'm sure it helps)

I had, from age 11, noticed something very interesting about so called reality, which was, more than any other single external factor, to shape my life…I had started having what were quite clearly precognitive flashes and dreams.

It started when I was 11 and at school outside the UK. It was an all boys boarding school, and the authorities relied heavily on the use of corporal punishment. This was something which seemed often to be prescribed with very little justice, and often with no connection at all with what we might have been doing! So, I noticed, I would have the strong presentiment on say, Tuesday, that I would be going to be caned on the next day!

I would strenuously try to avoid getting into a situation likely to result in a caning, but on Wednesday evening, while we were all doing homework, the master in charge said 'I'm going down to the main building, I'll be about 10 minutes'…I recall this incident very clearly…he came back, and said 'Right, if the people who were responsible for all that noise don't own up within 5 minutes, I'm caning the lot of you!'

And he did. Although no one had been making any particular noise at all…Most amusing…this happened 3 or 4 times, and was responsible for making me take notice of something which by normal thinking, isn't possible.

In later years, I had very clear and increasingly frequent examples of obviously precognitive dreams, which I learned to distinguish from 'ordinary dreams'; I would always tell someone I had just had a precognitive dream on waking, and they would very often be there to experience the dream events occurring later that day. The events would normally be sufficiently unusual and detailed that it was a clear effect, not coincidence or wishful thinking on my part.

This has actually been very useful in my life, and I've been tested with extremely positive results in a well known University Parapsychology lab.

Don't let PSICOP persuade you these effects are not real! They have their own agenda! Instead, read JW Dunne's book, 'An Experiment with Time'.

There is even a website on this book now…

Anyway, 1980 was just a year after my Lab Parapsychology experience, and also just after I'd broken up with a girl I had been living with for 4 years… I was not in the best state emotionally, but feeling much more positive than I had been six months earlier, and dating again!!

On this particular summers afternoon, a bunch of us had decided to go into the University city, to see 'Last Tango in Paris' at a small cinema.

We were going in an open car I owned, but as I had for some reason taken these liberty caps, I asked someone else to drive.

I sat in the passenger seat, with two or three others behind us, and as the steel blue Triumph Vitesse convertible wafted its way from the little village where we all lived in two adjoining cottages, I gazed at the passing scenery, and felt the mushrooms starting to take effect…my arm gently waving in languid circles in the balmy, scented summer air…fingers combing the ripples of clear, sparkling air…what? 'Yes, it's clear, perfumed, sparkling and so, so CLEAR…look around you…!'

Somewhere, distant, but somehow also close, I became aware of the drumbeat underlying the superficial surface of visual everyday reality…I sensed the enormity of mind in the Universe, the connections, so strongly felt in this condition, but how strange that we have to live our lives as individuals in this competitive, consumer frenzy, when just a handful of mushrooms away is this secret world of beauty, colour and understanding of the way things REALLY are…mind, expanding, substance…

This sudden, mystical contemplative and visionary state was alternating with something like my normal state of mind, with a frequency of maybe five minutes, though it's hard for me to be sure of the time lapse after so much time has passed...

I would find myself 'back in the car' and be able to smile at my friends and even talk normally…then I'd look at the surroundings and be away again…at one point, I saw a roundabout in the road, and as we passed around it, I saw tulips and daffodils at least 15 feet high burst out of the ground, and reach their full, impossible height in less tan a second, to hang, heads flopping to a standstill as drops of crystal clear water sprayed off them, sparking in the sunlight…then, within seconds, I saw a couple of people, again ridiculously and impossibly large and tall, with huge beaming faces emitting glorious golden light....and I KNEW these were hallucinations, at the time, but I also felt they were a part of a reality which is normally hidden behind the veil of the reduced consciousness which we use to cope in the everyday reality we have created as a species.

We arrived in the city centre, a beautiful, medieval marketplace amongst ancient and spectacular buildings, and some modern monstrosities.

On getting out of the car, I noticed that the sky was filled with firework rockets, though it was daytime, and all the church bells were ringing wildly!! I thought 'Wow…first time I've had anything like this! These are hallucinations too!' But I felt as though I had been specially singled out for this experience.

Then, we came to the cinema. We had to queue with other people for several minutes, and eventually it was my turn to line up at the little hatch with its glass screen, with an open section at the bottom, and some poor person the other side asking me for my money!

I creased up, laughing uncontrollably, it seemed so completely ridiculous, why was I doing this? I had lost all desire to see the film anyway, but was also incapable of thinking about money, tickets and the rest…and the vision of this poor guy's patient, bemused face just cracked me up totally.

I reeled, hooting with laughter, out of the narrow tunnel-like passage, into a dogleg shaped pedestrian walkway forming a right angle along two sides of a department store, and crashed into the wall of the store opposite, a small boutique type shop.

Then I heard a voice, from above, which announced loudly, 'You challenged God, and won!' The voice was full of timbre, not unkind, not Jovian, just, incredibly, THERE!

Gobsmacked into silence, I looked at the people passing by, to see what they had made of this extraordinary announcement, but it seemed no-one had heard a thing!

I realised this had been 'for my ears only'.

I've been wondering what that one was all about ever since!

I did manage to get in to see the film though I couldn't make any sense of it, it seemed like a jumble of disconnected images and I couldn't follow any plot. Later, with my friends, we had a few drinks which I think calmed me down a bit, and as the evening finished, we went home with no further quirky hallucinations.

I decided psilocybin was my 'drug of choice', but have come to see it as a sacrament, in the sense Aldous Huxley meant in his writing on the subject of mescaline, and SOMA.

Leary makes a lot of sense on this as well.

Happy tripping, but remember, folks, SET AND SETTING!

And read John P. Allegro, 'The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross'

Exp Year: 1980ExpID: 48562
Published: May 30, 2007Views: 17,981
Mushrooms - P. semilanceata (90) : Various (28), Mystical Experiences (9), Glowing Experiences (4), First Times (2)