Erowid Relies on Donations From Visitors Like You
Tension Relief, but it's not Cannabis
Catnip & Tobacco
by Alan Rock
Citation:   Alan Rock. "Tension Relief, but it's not Cannabis: An Experience with Catnip & Tobacco (exp4470)". Erowid.org. Mar 2, 2001. erowid.org/exp/4470

smoked Catnip (dried)
    smoked Tobacco (dried)

Having heard of the psychoactive effects of catnip I decided to try it for myself. I grew my own catnip from seed and dried it myself. I harvested two ziplock bags of it and kept it for four months before trying it.

I broke up some of the catnip and rolled it into a joint. I smoked the joint and felt no effects whatsoever. I then tried rolling a joint of one part catnip and one part tobacco (I took the tobacco from Genesh beedies a type of Indian cigarette, not American style cigarettes). Soon after beginning to smoke this joint I began to feel the effects. I began to feel light-headed and had trouble standing, my arms began to feel heavy and my vision blurred. These effects continued until I finished the joint. I began to feel normal almost immediately. My stomach felt a bit upset afterward but it was tolerable, nothing like a hangover.

Overall I found this to have an interesting effect, but it was quite shortlived. It's good for relieving tension or relaxing, but isn't comparable to marijuana.

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 4470
Published: Mar 2, 2001Views: 17,424
Tobacco (47), Catnip (68) : Unknown Context (20), Combinations (3)