Dear Erowid Readers: We're a small nonprofit that runs the top drug information website in the world. We have only 4 staff but serve 12 million users, and have costs like any big website: servers, power, office space, programs, and staff. To protect our independence, we don't run ads or take government funds. If everyone reading this gave $3, our fundraising would be done today. If Erowid is useful to you, take a minute to keep it online and ad-free another year!
Donate by Bitcoin
Instead of OTC Painkillers, For Back Pain
Poppies - Opium
by Seeformiles
Citation:   Seeformiles. "Instead of OTC Painkillers, For Back Pain: An Experience with Poppies - Opium (ID 43681)". Erowid.org. Oct 11, 2006. erowid.org/exp/43681

DOSE:   oral Poppies - Opium (tea)

I recently went on a cycling and walking holiday with my wife in Northern England. Since I hadn't done a great deal of exercise for a while I managed to put my back out! We had been cycling round the grounds of a stately home when this happened. In some considerable pain we carried on with the guided tour (since we had paid 10 each to be there!) and wound up in the gift shop at the end. I spotted some dried poppies in this shop and decided to give these a go instead of using ibuprofen or similar OTC painkillers.

When we got home, I ground up three of the heads in a coffee grinder and steeped the resulting powder in hot water for about 45 minutes. I strained out the liquid and gently heated it through with a good dollop of honey. 20 minutes after drinking it down I began to feel the effects. A warm glow spread across my body accompanied by a pleasant sedation and (best of all) my pain receded into the background. This sleepy contentment was only interrupted by 2 bouts of nausea and vomiting which sounds unpleasant but didn't particularly bother me at the time. I went to bed early, had some wonderful dreams and woke up still feeling the effects until about midday the following day. Overall the strength of the tea surprised me - as did the cost of the experience (about 0.50!!). I will certainly try it again but will leave long gaps between experiences as it's a bit too nice!

Exp Year: 2005ExpID: 43681