Erowid Canvas Tote/Shopping Bag
This reusable "Ecobag" is made of 100% recycled mid-weight
(10 oz) cotton canvas, printed with the Erowid logo.
Donate now and receive yours!
Interaction with Zyban / Wellbutrin
MDMA & Buproprion (Zyban/Wellbutrin)
by Jennifer
Citation:   Jennifer. "Interaction with Zyban / Wellbutrin: An Experience with MDMA & Buproprion (Zyban/Wellbutrin) (exp4190)". Erowid.org. Dec 14, 2000. erowid.org/exp/4190

1 tablet oral MDMA (pill / tablet)
  T+ 0:45 1 tablet oral MDMA (pill / tablet)
  T+ 1:15 1 tablet oral MDMA (pill / tablet)

I had been taking Zyban (a.k.a. Wellbutrin, a.k.a. Buproprion Hydrochloride, an antidepressant/ stop smoking aid) for about three weeks when I developed a strange skin reaction (severe itchiness). At the time I thought the rash was related to the Zyban so I stopped taking the medication immediately. I wasn't able to reach my doctor to talk to him about, so I didn't think about the effects of abrupt antidepressant withdrawal, and just went on with regular routine. About three days later, I was at a club where several friends started taking Ecstasy. I took one pill, and about forty minutes later I still felt nothing. Every single one of those friends, all seasoned Ecstascy users, said they hadn't had such a good dose as that in a really long time. Since I was disappointed with my response to it, I took another pill. I started to feel something about twenty minutes later, but it was still not to the degree that my friends felt it. I ended up having to take three pills instead of one. I guess the antidepressant was still in my system. Looking back now I know that I probably shouldn't have risked the drug interaction. I started looking on the internet, and I can't find anything written about the dangers of Buproprion Hydrochloride and MDMA's interaction. Since I am neither a chemist nor a psychiatrist, I can make a guess as to what happened, but I can't figure out the actual possible chemical reactions. My trip was still great, and the next day I felt the familiar fuzzy, tired E hangover, which I happen to enjoy as part of the whole experience. However, about three days later I crashed soooo hard, like I never had before. I couldn't stop crying; it was worse than any other depression I had ever had before. It lasted for about two days, and I had to keep telling myself, 'it's just the drugs'. I ended up finding out the the rash I originally had was due to a change in laundry detergent and not the Zyban, so I started taking the Zyban again. I love taking Ecstasy, but I don't suggest taking it while taking Zyban / Wellbutrin.

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 4190
Published: Dec 14, 2000Views: 17,301
MDMA (3) : Club / Bar (25), Depression (15), Combinations (3)