Support honest drug info & help us reach a new high for the
number of $5+ donations in a month. Our goal is 1,268.

Donate by Bitcoin
Two Years to Recover
Inhalants - Gasoline
by Greg
Citation:   Greg. "Two Years to Recover: An Experience with Inhalants - Gasoline (exp41128)". Jul 19, 2006.

  repeated inhaled Inhalants (gas)


[Erowid Note: Our understanding of the literature is that there is no such thing as safe recreational use of volatile solvents, aerosols and other street inhalants : their psychoactive effects are inseparable from nerve and organ damage. We have chosen to include these reports to help document the real world use of inhalants, but their inclusion is not intended to imply that they are anything but dangerous.]

I was 13 when I first tried huffing gasoline. I heard about it in school from a motivational speaker, though she must not have been very good, considering I had a major addiction to gasoline for 5 or 6 months, which I now regret. Me and my friend decided to try it at my house, we had already taken speed, and marijuana a mere week before. So we went into my garage and took a 2 liter bottle and filled it about 1/10 full which was more than necessary.

We never thought it was that addicting because we've never heard about that. He was a little scared though so I went first. I took about 10 deep inhalations and everything went out of focus then right back in. I kept hearing this buzzing. I fell in love with that sound. And then everything started to echo, and I thought I was going crazy. My friend started to take some and we started laughing. Everything sounded so clear and loud and my ears were extremely sensitive and I felt like I had no control over myself, he started to scream and I couldn't handle that and I freaked out and tried to punch him but my coordination was so off that I fell and we started laughing after about 2 minutes our buzz was over and he left but he was coming back over later to take a walk and would bring some gas .

The rest of the day I was in a daze and I didn't really care about anything and I found my self dazing for 2 or 3 hours at a time but he called at about 2:30 in the morning and we started to walk to a campground and inhale gas on this cliff we always hang out on (very stupid.) So we packed a 2 liter bottle with the same amounts of gas and started walking for about a mile. We weren't even halfway there but we decided to take a little in the middle of the road in the country but before we started to inhale we heard people yelling our names. We turned around and it was these 7th grade girls (who were very cute.) We told them what we were going to do so they came along to watch the show. I went first again and started inhaling deep for about 30 times and it hit me very hard. I heard the buzzing but I felt numb and my head was throbbing everyone was yelling at me if I was ok but I couldn't say anything and they echoed.

They told me to sit down but I fell backwards and landed on my head but couldn't feel it. They all sat down next to me but I couldn't understand them. Suddenly I turned blind and started twitching but then I passed out and I had an odd but scary hallucination. I saw my face and it was in black and white, but it started blinking red over it and the buzzing sound was synchronized with the blinking and it kept getting more intense with louder faster buzzing and blinking and it made me shake. It reached its peak then it sounded like beeping from a microwave and I suddenly woke up and I was bleeding and one of the girls were crying while my friend was saying 'trippy man.'

My experience was so eerie and horrible I don't know why I kept doing it. The addiction was so strong. One night I looked up the effects of inhaling gasoline and I stopped right then, but only after I haven't turned in an assignment in school for nearly 3 months and my mind was fried, I couldn't even skateboard which was what I lived for. I just didn't care, I spaced out all day and slept. I'm now 15 and I realized my brain isn't 'fried' and I seem back to my normal self but it took me about 2 years. I can finally get good grades and I finally have friends again (I stopped talking to everyone for those 2 years and just spaced out.) I finally recovered. This ruined 2 years of my life. Looking back now I can't imagine how I didn't die or fall into a coma. The worst thatís happened to me is passing out for 4 hours.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 41128
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: Not Given 
Published: Jul 19, 2006Views: 8,282
[ View as PDF (for printing) ] [ View as LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Switch Colors ]
Inhalants (29) : Health Problems (27), Retrospective / Summary (11), Various (28)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid and you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving permission first.
Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults