Review Erowid at
Help us be a "Top Rated Nonprofit" again this year and spread
honest info (good or bad) about psychedelics & other psychoactive drugs.
("Share Your Story" link. Needs quick login creation but no verification of contact info)
A Bad Week
Citation:   C.L.E.A.N. "A Bad Week: An Experience with Nutmeg (exp40109)". Apr 15, 2008.

3 Tbsp oral Nutmeg (ground / crushed)
I had just ended another hard week and yet somehow, another week was just starting. It was Monday and I decided to plan something to look forward to later in the week. Little did I know it would end up being one of the most unpleasant weeks of my life (so far). I was looking online for something that I could take that would be easy to find and seemed relatively safe. I read about Nutmeg and it seemed like a good idea.

Tuesday - I woke up bright and early and decided to take some nutmeg with breakfast before school. I don't know why I thought this would be a good idea, but I did it anyway. I took 2 tbsp of McCormick ground Nutmeg at 8:00AM once I was done driving and at school. I waited, and waited. Nothing all day. That evening I did some more research and found that I needed fresher nutmeg. I stopped by the store. I couldn't find actual un-ground nutmeg, but I did find McCormick gourmet 'fresh-ground' nutmeg. I purchased it.

Wednesday - This time I was thinking a little more clearly and decided to take the nutmeg AFTER school.

4:30PM - Had my mixture of 3 tbsp nutmeg and milk all made. I downed it and had to eat Oreos once I had finished it to wash down the taste.

7:00PM - I started to feel a little more up-beat, and my vision became a little more blurred. At this point I was talking on the phone with a friend and looking something up on the internet.

7:30PM - My friend didn't know I was taking nutmeg so I decided to end the phone conversation because it became very hard to listen to what he was saying and answer sensibly within a reasonable time.

7:45PM - It put on some music and enjoyed it. The music seemed to flow through me and I could see it go out through the back of my head. I think this is when it was really coming on hard. I watched the visualization on my computer. It seemed that the computer's music visualization knew what I wanted to see and displayed it for me.

7:55PM - I could barely stay up on my chair. I shut off the lights, they seemed very bright, and fell onto my bed. It was very comfortable. I felt as if I were sinking into the sheets, just going down farther and farther into them.

8:00PM - I started to fall faster, and faster. I knew at this point what was going to happen. I knew that I was going to start to panic. I spoke out loud 'God damnit!' my own voice startled me and echoed off my walls. I tried, without any luck, to get back to the exremely happy place I was in just five minutes ago.

8:10PM - I really had to go to the bathroom so I got up and went. While I was in the bathroom my mouth felt very dry so I gargled some water. Now that I think back on this, it remember that my lips started to really hurt. I now remember that I went back into my room, then back to the bathroom and gargled water over and over again without noticing it. I don't know how many times I repeated this action, but after a while all the things I would see on the way, the microwave, the bathroom door handle, the hand towel, it all seemed too firmiliar so I stopped myself and went into my bed.

8:30PM - I though wow, this sucks, it must be like 10PM by now. I was dissappointed when I looked at the clock and it was only about 8:30 because I wanted this feeling to stop. I tried to sleep it off but every time I would start to doze off I would feel like I stopped breathing and I heard an extremely loud noise in my head. This kept happening when I would try to sleep and I was positive that I was going to stop breathing and die once I fell asleep so I tried to stay awake. I watched the clock and each minute felt like a year.

9:00PM - My heart was racing and I couldn't stay awake, but I didn't want to die so I went into total panic at this point. I ran out of my room and found my little brother playing on the computer. I asked him to feel my heartbeat just to make sure I wasn't just imagining that it was fast. He said it felt like 160 beats per minute. He told me that that was normal if I was sprinting at the time. This freaked me out and I told it it was because I had a bad dream. I sat on the couch and started to watch Oprah. Oprah gave me a sense of comfort, but during every commercial I would go into panic again and think I was going to have a heart attack.

9:30PM - I finally told my brother what I had done. He looked up some information on nutmeg and told me a lot of people think they are going to die when they take it. This gave me some relief, I just had to wait till morning.

10:00PM - I finally went to sleep having been comforted by my brother, and was awakened by my mom, she had just gotten home and my brother told her what I did. I thought of telling him not to tell her, but I secretly wanted her to know because at the time I thought I was going to DIE and what's better than the comfort and love of your mother? She told me I was stupid and that I better get up nice and early tomorrow so I won't be late for school. I chuckled, trying to act normal, I cracked a few jokes about the situation to ease the awkwardness. She then told me that she got a call and it turned out my car was stolen from the mechanic's shop. Just the perfect ending to my, what I felt, was a near death experience.

The next morning I got up at 6:15AM and had to get ready and go to school. It sucked so much, I could barely take a shower, I didn't know where my clothes were and so it took me a while to get into the shower because I needed new clothes to change into before I got in. For the rest of the week I didn't learn anything and everyone would come up to me and ask what's wrong and I would just say nothing, until the next week I could talk to my friends again.

Overall this was horrible, my week was ruined, and for a while later I couldn't go to sleep at night because I would remember what it felt like when I tried to sleep on nutmeg. I also had to talk to a few police officers about my car, which they found, and when I went to the station I knew that they must have known there was something wrong with me, but they didn't. Finally it took a whole second week until I could actually feel my limbs when I touched them or the brushed up against something without feeling a wierd tingling.

I don't know what went wrong, but boy did it suck.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 40109
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: Not Given
Published: Apr 15, 2008Views: 16,591
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Nutmeg (41) : First Times (2), Difficult Experiences (5), Hangover / Days After (46), Bad Trips (6), Alone (16)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
No AI Training use allowed without written permission.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults