Help us be a 2020 "Top Rated Nonprofit", and spread accurate info
about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
5-HTP the savior for stoners?
5-HTP
by J-Stone
Citation:   J-Stone. "5-HTP the savior for stoners?: An Experience with 5-HTP (exp39364)". Erowid.org. Dec 18, 2007. erowid.org/exp/39364

100 mg oral Tryptophan (capsule)

I have been an avid weed smoker for the last six years, and in the last two years I have only taken a 1 month break and a few 3-4 day breaks here and there. My friend had told me about 5-HTP before, and I had seen it mentioned in much literature as well. Seeing as it was finals week at college, I was seeking some sort of aid to help me focus on studying (and to not want to smoke herb so much... heh). I did NOT want to use ritalin/aderall as I am generally against it. So first day of the week, I got up early and decided to go buy some 5-HTP and do some studying. I had a small breakfast around 10:00AM, including 2 cups of Oolong Tea, and at this time I ingested 2 x 50mg 5-HTP. Then I went to the library and studied...

11:30AM - T+1:30 - What I noticed at this time was that I was very motivated to do the work. Reading was easy, my mind was focused and I was not worried about how much work I had to do or how much time I had to do it. Time almost passed faster. At first I thought, maybe it's just the caffeine, but there was definitely a clarity of thought not present before.

1:00PM - T+3:00 - After working for 2 hours, I let myself have a small smoking break. I didn't want to ruin being in the 'work zone' so I packed only a medium sized bowl of some commercial level chronic. It was strange... I seemed to notice some effects that I hadn't noticed in a long time, like an extra vibrance to music and excessive mood enhancement. I decided to smoke a little bit more, and I was blown away! It almost felt like my tolerance had been reduced, yet it wasn't.

5:00PM - T+7:00 - Even after coming down from the the high, I could still be focused on the work. Also, the clarity of thought is amazing. It is like a cloud has been lifted off my head: the last few years of smoking a lot and not taking many breaks has generally made me feel less alert. The 5-HTP seemed to take it away. The kind of intuitive thinking I gained from smoking a lot also seemed to go well with this new ability to focus... schoolwork/studying seemed to go extra easily.

I have used 5-HTP almost daily since this experience and have continued to feel this clarity of thought which was long missing. I suggested it to several stoner friends whom I gave samples to... they noticed similar effects to a more or less degree. One of them now takes it regularly. I would recommend it to any heavy stoner as part of a healthy diet in order to maintain adequate serotonin levels in the brain.

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 39364
Published: Dec 18, 2007Views: 79,699
Tryptophan (138) : Health Benefits (32), First Times (2), Alone (16)