Take a Survey on the use of Breathwork
for Anxiety, Depression, Trauma, or PTSD
Researchers at Johns Hopkins seek responses to an anonymous survey on breathwork. You can participate whether your breathwork experiences helped or not.
(Must be 18+) Take the Survey!
Searching for the Right Dose
Morning Glory Seeds
by pH 0
Citation:   pH 0. "Searching for the Right Dose: An Experience with Morning Glory Seeds (exp3336)". Erowid.org. Dec 24, 2001. erowid.org/exp/3336

9.0 g oral Morning Glory (extract)


I've been playing with morning glory seeds for a while now, and it's hard to summarize the experience. It's been a mix of good and bad, but almost always interesting. I don't know if I'll do it again, though, considering the trouble it takes to prepare the seeds and how easy it is to get more reliable substances.

1st attempt: 7.2 g extract, little effect
On my first attempt, I used 7.2 g of seeds (about 265), all Better Homes and Gardens Heavenly Blues. I washed the seeds with detergent and ground them coarsely with a pestle and mortal, which was a lot of trouble and didn't work well. I soaked the grounds in Zippo fluid for 1 hour, dried them then soaked them in Everclear (190 proof) for 5 days and drank the resulting alcohol (but skipped the solids). I quickly lost my appetite and felt intoxicated, probably from the alcohol. After about an hour I felt some slight nausea. I watched _The Wall_, and had to stop at one point to avoid crying. Pink Floyd affects me a lot normally, but this seemed like too much. After the movie I went to a rave which was a total disappointment I couldn't tell I had any effects from the seeds, and the rave was a bomb, too. I took 200 mg of caffeine, but this only made me jittery, probably because I hadn't eaten. At T + 9 hours I got home and noticed some mild LSD-like visual distortions but had no trouble going to sleep.

2nd attmpt: 9 g extract, mild but good effect
This time I used a mix of Heavenly Blues, Flying Saucers and Pearly gates totalling 15 g, 510 seeds. The brand was Burpee. I prepared basically as before, soaking for 20 min in Zippo fluid and 4 days in 150 mL of Everclear. Also I used a coffee grinder and got a much finer power with much less effort. I split the magic potion with a friend. This felt similar to 1 hit of acid for me--pleasant, but not entertaining in itself. There was noticeable pupil dilation. I went to a rave and felt very sociable, and the music was very intense and entertaining. There were few visuals, but my depth perception we screwed up. I had some muscle tension and very slight nausea, similar to MDMA. At 7 hours I was still experiencing mild visuals and music was beautiful, but I was too tired to really enjoy it so I went to sleep. Overall the experience was pleasant and euphoric but not really trippy. It probably helped that the rave was an especially good one, with a great vibe and big-name musicians. For me, this method is probably a good substitute for X at a rave. The high isn't as good, but I felt happy and mellow the next day, not hung over at all.

3rd attempt: 9 g extract, good effect
Very similar to before. 9 g of BH&G Heavenly Blues, coffee grinder, 20 min in Zippo fluid, several days in 100 mL of Everclear. I didn't strain this well enough, so the extract had some very unpleasant chunks in it. Also don't mix Everclear and Kool-Aid. It's nasty. Drinking this goo made me a little sick, but it passed quickly. This worked about as well as before, plus I added a little X after a couple of hours. I had a *very* good time except for a little emotional bumpiness coming down from the X. After nine hours total (around 7 am) I felt very alert (strange after staying up all night!) but otherwise completely normal. I had to drive 10 hours after that, and had a huge amount of caffeine to stay awake. By the last hour I began experiencing auditory hallucinations of sirens all around me after hearing a few real sirens at some point (I think!) Of course this was probably just sleep deprivation, but everything also had a strong but intangible trippy quality reminiscent of acid and not like sleep deprivation at all. It was quite pleasant and didn't impair my driving at all. Once I got home I had a smoke and went to sleep.

4th attempt: 9 g (?) raw seeds, got really sick
I was beginning to suspect the extract wasn't working as well as it should by this point, so I just ground up and ate some seeds. I tried mixing them with grapefruit juice and crushed up vitamin C tablets to cover the taste, but drinking the grainy liquid was still difficult and nearly made me puke. I had a couple of small puffs of weed, which eliminated the nausea but didn't get me high. After a few minutes I began to feel the effects, and sat down to listen to my new Shpongle CD. Between the drugs and the music, this was AMAZING! By about the 1.5 hour mark I was feeling the intense urgent feeling I associate with coming up on acid. I had a friend drive me to a club. Big mistake! While there I developed a headache and felt generally sick, but didn't really notice this much at the time. I was too incoherent to talk to sober people, but I was a hit with a group that was rolling pretty hard. After a few hours I began to see a strong rippling effect--looking at the city skyline, there appeared to be intense heat waves like in a desert. By this point I was feeling quite ill and the weather was way too cold. I sat next to a speaker for a moment wanting to be alone, and when I closed by eyes I could see the club with the people gone. I eventually decided that it would be irresponsible of me to just sit around and let my ears get blasted out by bland house music, so I decided to go home. I went out through a very warm room in the club and then out into the cold. The temperature change was too much for me, and I knew I was going to puke. I searched for a place to do it discretely, but I couldn't control it and puked violently right on the street. There were cops around and I was very embarrassed. By this time it was around 3 am. I wandered around the empty streets freezing and looking for any open store so I could find a bathroom to wash off. Eventually I found a taxi to take me home, though. The driver thought I was very drunk. I got home and showered, all the while feeling stupid for having poisoned myself, but glad to be home. The effects were still going strong when I went to sleep. The next day I felt mild effects, steadily decreasing until late that night when they disappeared completely. It was a pleasant day. I watched documentaries about insects, which were completely fascinating. I danced to the Shpongle CD and felt like some kind of shaman. I think that day made the preceeding night worth it somehow. It wasn't intense, but it was very mellow and enjoyable.

I've had one more experience where I got to know the effects of morning glory seeds in great detail; I've described it in a separate report.

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 3336
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: Not Given 
Published: Dec 24, 2001Views: 66,291
[ View as PDF (for printing) ] [ View as LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Switch Colors ]
Morning Glory (38) : Preparation / Recipes (30), Retrospective / Summary (11), Various (28)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid and you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving permission first.
Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults