Help us get 10 more reviews! And spread the word that accurate info about psychedelics and other drugs improves health, culture, and policies.
Very Nice Experience
Amanita muscaria
by Bob
Citation:   Bob. "Very Nice Experience: An Experience with Amanita muscaria (exp29578)". Erowid.org. Dec 30, 2003. erowid.org/exp/29578

2 capsls oral Amanitas - A. muscaria (tea)

I first met the Red Fellow in 1982, but it's been a while. I don't encourage anyone to eat this unless they are fully aware of the risks and benefits and are *positive* of the identification of the mushroom in question. These red-orange beauties were picked by yours truly in northern Coastal California. I also take milk thistle capsules, 'just in case.'

The caps were dried slowly on a metal screen in front of a radiant heater (two nights drying -- stored in cupboard during the day), which gives them a nice appeareance and does not appear to make them too 'harsh'. Tea was made by bringing about 12 oz. of water to a FULL BOIL, then adding the caps to the water AFTER it is removed from heat and letting the mixture sit for 30-45 minutes. This reconstitutes the caps and creates the tea. Then the tea was strained and poured into another cup. The caps were disposed of -- I suppose you could eat them, but I don't.

Drank about 6 oz, then waited two hours. Then I drank another 3 ounces, waited an hour and drank the final 3 ounces. I can't say that I enjoy the taste of Amanita Tea, but it's tolerable.

The effect of the Tea is not too strong. Slight visuals: 'things look a little bit alive' and a feeling of well being. I played with my 3-year-old for an hour and a half, and enjoyed every minute of it. Very much a relaxing tonic.

However, I have the feeling that had I prepared the tea with three caps, instead of two, using the same method, the experience would have been better, probably significantly stronger.

The effects last, maybe 4 or 5 hours. Some mild 'flash backs' in the following days, but not unpleasant at all.

I've read a lot of negative reviews of Amanita Muscaria, but in my humble opinion it really is something of a wonder drug. Besides the enjoyable buzz, I felt energized and the nasty cough that had been tormenting me for days disappeared, pretty much for good after I drank the tea.

For the record, I've eaten Dried Amanita, and made tea by boiling dried caps, and smoked the dried caps. This method -- a slow tea as it were, has so far been the best.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 29578
Published: Dec 30, 2003Views: 45,636
Amanitas - A. muscaria (70) : Alone (16), Preparation / Recipes (30), General (1)