Citation: Chromodynamix. "Pharmacological Error: An Experience with 1,4-Butanediol (exp29274)". Erowid.org. Dec 22, 2005. erowid.org/exp/29274
I am a qualified Pharmacologist, so I 'should' have known better.
I purchased 250 mls pure 1,4 Butanediol off the internet at a reasonable price, supplied as Video Equipment cleaner. I used a graduated 1 ml syringe to measure into my drinks, which were occasionally alcoholic. This was usually at bedtime. I never had a problem, never exceeding 2-3 mls.
On a Sunday afternoon, I decided to read the newspaper and have a 'nap'. Instead of measuring the amount of 1,4 Butanediol into some grapefruit juice, I 'estimated' the amount and sloshed it in. BAD MOVE! An hour or so later, my kids noticed me asleep, but not breathing well, and they alerted my partner. I came round in a dream like state, but was unable to tell them what was happening, and I kept passing out. Next thing I remember were paramedics checking me out and coming round in Emergency resuscitation with drips in both arms. I had already had a brain scan as they suspected a stroke, and I had been intubated.
They then started discussing doing a lumbar puncture, and possible brain surgery, and all this time I am trying to explain I was a qualified Pharmacologist, and I was not in any danger. In my confused state I could not remember the chemical I had taken, which was critical to managing my medical emergency.
Eventually, I recovered enough to explain what had happened, and apologise profusely for wasting valuable medical emergency resources.
I will not try this stuff again.
Anyone tempted, make sure you accurately measure the dose, and do not consume any more, as absorption times vary.
June 2009 Addendum by author:
I would like to add a significant fact regarding my story which has since come to light.
I mention mixing the 1,4 Butanediol with grapefruit juice. There are many drug interactions with grapefruit juice, which inhibits an enzyme Cytochrome P 450 in the intestinal wall. This can cause much higher concentrations of a drug to get to the blood stream with dangerous results.
I am convinced this led to the OD reaction.
COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid and you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving permission first.
Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.