Donate to Erowid with Cryptocurrency
We take Bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies to support practical information about
psychoactive drugs. A great way to donate without lots of fees. Contribute a bit today!
Desperate for Pain Relief...
Carbamazepine, Escitalopram & Neurontin
by alexis
Citation:   alexis. "Desperate for Pain Relief...: An Experience with Carbamazepine, Escitalopram & Neurontin (exp28585)". Erowid.org. May 23, 2006. erowid.org/exp/28585

800 mg oral Pharms - Carbamazepine (daily)
  10 mg oral Pharms - Escitalopram (daily)
  1200 mg oral Pharms - Gabapentin

[Gabapentin 1200mg, carbamazapine 800mg, clonazepam .5mg, liothyronin [thyroid medication) .25mg, escitalopram 10mg]

I was prescribed Neurontin (gabapentin), 1800mg a day, and Topamax (topiramate), 100mg a day for bipolar disorder. Because I was supposed to take 3 Neurontin a day, I kept a small supply in my purse. The combination did not work as well as my previous mood stabilizer, and was much more expensive. So I went back to taking Tegretol, also known as carbamazepine.

One day at work, I got an absolutely horrible headache, and found myself without any aspirin or ibuprofren. I was desperate. Because I knew Neurontin can be used to treat pain, I popped a couple of the 600mg pills I had with me. I didn't know if they would work or not, but I was willing to try just about anything. My headache went away in about 30 minutes, and I felt strangely energized. It was like reality was buzzing. I wouldn't say I was 'high' but it was certainly pleasant to get rid of that headache. Work was a little easier that night, too.

While I was taking Neurontin with Topamax, I didn't experience any sensations like I described above. I was also taking Klonopin (.5 mg) at the time, which I'm sure helped keep things in balance. I had no 'hangover' and everything was fine after the effects had worn off.

All of the medications I took were prescribed to me by a medical doctor.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 28585