It's Erowid's 20th Anniversary!
Help us keep going for another twenty with a small donation?
Erowid is a global information resource. We're an educational non-profit working to provide an honest look at psychoactives. Accurate info is required in order to move forward with research, drug law reform, and safer use. This work is made possible by small donations and memberships (get our newsletter!).
Ambien Nightmare
Zolpidem (Ambien)
by Unhappy Burner
Citation:   Unhappy Burner. "Ambien Nightmare: An Experience with Zolpidem (Ambien) (ID 26604)". Erowid.org. Sep 4, 2003. erowid.org/exp/26604

DOSE: 1 tablet oral Pharms - Zolpidem

I had my own personal drug holocaust (and yes: it was that bad) on Ambien. It was by far the worst drug experience I have had in years and years.

The stage was set: I was at Burning Man. I took a nice shower. I was clean. I curled up in the RV. The air conditioning was on. It was going to be a nice six hour snooze through the day, leaving me refreshed and ready to kick some ass that night. Prepared for an afternoon of dozing bliss, I took that little Ambien pill.

...And was immersed into a seven-hour hell that took me to depths I'd never experienced.

Nightmare after nightmare lurked for me there in my Ambien-induced coma. There was no escaping! No awaking! There was much shifting and rocking in my mind, and all the dreams seemed to revolve around being sucked into some anus-like black hole. I was semi-lucid could I control it? Could I stay away from the black hole? No, I couldn't. It's sphincterescense pulled me closer and closer. No, hole, no! Let me go!

I awoke seven hours later, just before sunset. I was nauseas, shaking, wobbly, disoriented, and felt like I'd just been raked through the coals of hell. Friends coaxed me into weakly slurping down a little noodle soup as my campmates tip-toed around me whispering, 'She had a bad trip on that sleeping pill.'

I awoke more exhausted than I'd fallen asleep. I toddled around confusedly licking the wounds of my own sedation. I felt like I needed to inhale the goods of an entire seedy Columbian cartel just to come back to some moderately normal state of mind. Thankfully, I didn't. Regardless, it was awful. Oh yeah: and then I got a massive bloody nose. It should be noted that there were NO OTHER DRUGS IN MY SYSTEM during this Ambien experience.

Note to self: stick to Valium.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 26604