The Power of Jaws
Procyclidine
by Narinia
Citation:   Narinia. "The Power of Jaws: An Experience with Procyclidine (exp25589)". Erowid.org. Jun 1, 2006. erowid.org/exp/25589

5.0 mg oral Pharms - Procyclidine (pill / tablet)

I have a rapid-cycling Bipolar disorder which is treated with anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. This combination has kept me out hospital for three years and has been very successful for me.

I suggested cogentin or procyclidine to my Doctor after having been on Quetiapine for about three years. I'd noticed a lot of involuntary jaw clenching and night time bruxism,(teeth grinding.) I had had a previous experience with jaw stiffening with a tiny, 10 mg. dosage of chlorpromazine, a few years ago.

I took the first dosage of 5 mg. just after I had taken my bedtime dosage of about 100 mg of quetiapine. I wasn't expecting the medication to have any effect whatsoever, so when I woke up the next morning with a completely relaxed jaw, I was sceptical that the procyclidine could have had a positive effect so quickly. I continued taking it and have purposely not taken it a couple of times to see if it really made any difference. So far, so good and I'm glad that it occured to me to try it out. The jaw clenching was definitely a subtle but annoying side effect of the anti-psychotic.

By the way, I have had no adverse reactions from the procyclidine whatsoever. My mouth is not dry, me eyes are not blurry, I don't feel sick, etc.

P.S. Effexor gave me hallucinations, panic attacks and fainting spells. Sertraline burned my tongue as soon as I put the tablet in my mouth and then burned all the way into my stomach and created a good deal of pain for me for a few hours.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 25589
Published: Jun 1, 2006Views: 9,722
Pharms - Procyclidine (233) : Medical Use (47), Alone (16)