Stunning Huichol Yarn Art
Donate $150 or more and get a beautiful Huichol yarn
painting, hand made by Huichol artists in Mexico.
They make fabulous gifts! (6, 8, 12 & 24 inch pieces available.)
Yopohuasca? Too Strong!
Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & Anadenanthera spp.)
by GR03
Citation:   GR03. "Yopohuasca? Too Strong!: An Experience with Huasca Combo (Syrian Rue & Anadenanthera spp.) (exp25546)". Jul 28, 2003.

T+ 0:00
10 g oral Syrian Rue (ground / crushed)
  T+ 0:45 5 seeds oral Anadenanthera spp. (dried)


[Erowid Note: The term 'yopo' is traditionally used in reference to Anadenanthera peregrina. Recently many people have started using it to refer to both A. peregrina AND A. colubrina. This report specified only 'yopo' so we do not know the exact identity of the seeds used. ]

I was interested in the ayahuasca herbs and I was trying to find a combination that wasn't so terrible for my stomach. So, I decided to try the harmala + yopo combination hoping that I could tolerate the nausea and the vomiting I had felt in the past using the banisteriopsis caapi + ps. viridis combination. Anyway, I put the powdered harmala seeds into capsules and let the yopo seeds dry completely in a low heated oven for a few hours.

I decided to take them one night I was on the beach with my girlfriend and no one would disturbed us. I haven't eaten anything the previous 12 hours. 45 min after I ingested the capsules I was feeling great. No nausea or any bad feeling at all so I decided to take the yopo seeds. I put them in my mouth and started to chew them. Not too bad but not tasty either. By that time I was happy with my choice to use these plants because I was feeling very well. Then, after a FEW SECONDS of chewing the yopo seeds, nausea came suddenly out of nowhere. I was feeling as if an invisible hand had grabbed my stomach and was pressing it. I was afraid that I didn't had the time to swallow the yopo seeds because of the oncoming vomiting. I forced myself to swallow them. The moment they reached my stomach, I puked.

I thought that, since I puked the seeds, I wasn't going to feel any effect at all. I was a little bit disappointed of the way things had turned out. But after a few minutes, I started to feel a little odd. Nausea was still there but there was something else too. It was a body feeling that reminded me a lot my first ayahuasca experience (which was a failure), but more intense. Probably, the DMT had been absorbed from the oral mucosa and had reached the blood stream. I can't figure any other explanation since the yopo seeds didn't stay in my stomach for more than a couple of seconds. Anyway, while I was thinking all that, that odd body feeling was getting stronger and stronger. I puked twice--with an interval of 10 minutes--and laid down. After a few minutes I couldn't feel my arms and legs and started to loose the sense of time. My body was feeling really bad, especially in the abdomen.

By that time I started to see things behind my eyelids. Colours and unshaped patterns that soon formed a whole world in front of me. A world that only kids lived in, a world that looked like an enormous playground, a world of happiness and thoughtlessness filled with shapes and colours. At the beginning I was amazed by that landscape in front of me--maybe because I wasn’t expecting it. But soon all those things started to move with an accelerated speed that was driving me insane. I had absolute no control over my visions so I opened my eyes to get rid of them. Worse. As soon as I opened my eyes I got in touch with my physical body again--which was feeling terrible. I puked once more. It was a dead end: With opened eyes there was dizziness, nausea, vomiting. I couldn't stand up nor walk. With closed eyes DMT was driving me insane. I preferred the closed-eye state, it was more tolerable, so I stayed with my eyes closed for about 3 hours. All this time I had visions and got used to their speed quite easily.

The visions where nice but the thing that truly amazed me was that most of this time I was under the impression that an underlying change was going on deep inside me but I wasn’t able to see it clearly. Like a veil was covering what went on. Although I didn’t knew what was going on, I was sure that it was something positive. Anyway, 3 1/2 hours later the visions started to fade but my body was still feeling bad. I was feeling also very tired and I went to bed very easily.

The next day there was no hangover at all. I was feeling very calm and renascent. No trace of the previous night’s sickness. I hadn’t ate anything until 12 hours since the ingestion had past –- although I was hungry.
In retrospect, I think that it was a positive experience. Finally, I’d like to say two things to anyone that wants to try these substances. First, fasting is a foremost importance matter and second, always have a sitter near you because, unlike other substances, with these ones you are in no position to help yourself nor react effectively if something happens.

Trip safely…

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 25546
Gender: Male 
Age at time of experience: Not Given 
Published: Jul 28, 2003Views: 31,362
[ View as PDF (for printing) ] [ View as LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Switch Colors ]
Syrian Rue (45), Anadenanthera spp. (284), Huasca Combo (269) : Small Group (2-9) (17), Difficult Experiences (5)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission prior to your downloading the data.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults