Get the Erowid "Words" T-shirt
Contribute $50 and show support for accurate drug information!
Zero Recreational Potential
Quetiapine (Seroquel)
by Phantazm
Citation:   Phantazm. "Zero Recreational Potential: An Experience with Quetiapine (Seroquel) (exp23933)". Erowid.org. Feb 11, 2004. erowid.org/exp/23933

600 mg oral Pharms - Quetiapine (pill / tablet)

While this experience was not accidental, the effects of the drug in question (Seroquel) were not as intended at the time of dose.

A total of 600 mg of Seroquel was taken orally over a period of 15 minutes. Each 100 mg tablet was taken whole with a swallow of water.

Intended Effect: Sleep (Previously unsuccessful at lower dosages, such as 200-300 mg)

-------

After battling depression for several years, a doctor seemed to have gotten it under control with Effexor and Amantadine. Unfortunately, this doctor was relieved of his duties (at the clinic at which I was a patient). The replacement doctor was kind enough to provide me with some Seroquel as a sleep aid and as an anti-psychotic (I'm bi-polar).

After many failed attempts to sleep at the suggested dosage of 25 mg (he said I could go up to 200 mg) and up I decided I was going to try a LARGE dose.

Now, I did not do this blindly (not saying it wasn't dangerous, but MANY people have overdosed FAR beyond what I did, and lived) I spent several manic hours researching the effects of an overdose.. among them, 'fainting', 'passing out', 'coma'. AKA -- Sleep .. or so I thought. Also, hallucinations were among the 'side effects' and OD effects.

About 15 minutes post-dose I felt very drowsy. I laid down on my bed and began to experience hallucinations far beyond what dimenhydrinate (Benadryl) produces. Open and closed eye visuals were unavoidable and actually quite scary! At this point, I had no sense of time what-so-ever, but vaguely remember getting up to go to the bathroom. I remember my limbs being VERY heavy. It was difficult to walk, yet somehow I made it to the bathroom.

The next thing I remember is waking up about 18 hours after I had taken the Seroquel. I didn't have a bad hangover, yet it was definitely present. Again, I didn't intend for this to happen, and this experience is intended to DISCOURAGE the use of Seroquil as a 'recreational' drug of any kind. In my opinion, it's recreational potential is zero.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 23933
Published: Feb 11, 2004Views: 82,651
Pharms - Quetiapine (273) : Unknown Context (20), General (1)