It's Erowid's 20th Anniversary!
Help us keep going for another twenty with a small donation?
Erowid is a global information resource. We're an educational non-profit working to provide an honest look at psychoactives. Accurate info is required in order to move forward with research, drug law reform, and safer use. This work is made possible by small donations and memberships (get our newsletter!).
Ephedrine Horror
Ephedrine & Alcohol
by Jeffrey Kirk
Citation:   Jeffrey Kirk. "Ephedrine Horror: An Experience with Ephedrine & Alcohol (ID 2261)". Erowid.org. Jun 30, 2000. erowid.org/exp/2261

DOSE: 8 glasses oral Alcohol (liquid)
  8 tablets oral Ephedrine (pill / tablet)

Until the weekend before last, I assumed that Ephedrine was a relatively safe and harmless way to perk up without any unusual side effects. Then something happened which most definitely changed my mind.

During the course of an evening, I had consumed a fair amount of alcohol (7-8 drinks over several hours), smoked a bowl of pot, and had taken 8 Ephedrine tablets. Then I decided to drive from my home in Austin down to visit a friend in San Antonio. I really wasn't that drunk, and I wasn't still particularly stoned, so I assumed I'd be fine. I was wrong.

[Erowid Note: Driving while intoxicated, tripping, or extremely sleep deprived is dangerous and irresponsible because it endangers other people. Don't do it!]

One second I'm leaving my house, and literally the next thing I know it's 45 minutes later and I'm driving off the road and colliding with a barbed wire fence. Conscious thought and memory hit me in one sudden, horrifying moment. Though I can clearly remember everything after that moment (which occurred as I slammed into the fence), there's about 45 minutes before that point which I have absolutely no recollection of. Somehow I ended up on a country road in the middle of nowhere where I most definitely should NOT have been; I was on the wrong road and I had no idea why I would be on it. There's one route I take to San Antonio, and that wasn't it. I can't really say it was a blackout, though, because I was conscious the entire time - and DRIVING, no less.

I know it was the Ephedrine which caused me to blackout the 45 minutes between the time that I left my house and when I had the wreck, since I've never had an experience like that on pot or alcohol alone. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Can anyone explain why this occurred? The scary part is that I know I completely lost control of my senses. I was driving down a road which there was no reason for me to be on, and I can't figure out why. Fortunately the road was empty (since it was the middle of the night) and I hit a fence instead of slamming head-on into a tree or another car.

Exp Year: 1995ExpID: 2261