"When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war. So I say to you, walk with the wind, brothers and sisters, and let the spirit of peace and the power of everlasting love be your guide."
-- John Lewis (1940-2020)
Useful Quasi-Stimulant
Adrafinil
by Murple
Citation:   Murple. "Useful Quasi-Stimulant: An Experience with Adrafinil (exp22332)". Erowid.org. Jun 30, 2003. erowid.org/exp/22332

author logo
300 repeated oral Adrafinil (pill / tablet)

I obtained some adrafinil (Olmifon) from France following some media coverage on it and modafinil which got my attention. I wasn't expecting much, given the somewhat tabloidish 'party all night' slant of the articles. There was a mention that the military was switching from amphetamines to modafinil, which got me more interested. I did some research and liked what I saw. It seems that rather than being a stimulant, these drugs are a new class of drug... wakefulness promoters. I don't know of a proper name for this drug class. Maybe something catchy like vigilytics?

In any case, modafinil sounds better of the two but it is scheduled now and, if I wanted to order it in spite of the law, its insanely expensive. Adrafinil seems to be just as effective from what I read, with its main drawback being that it has a shorter duration. A dose of modafinil could keep you going for a looong time, whereas with adrafinil you'd need to keep taking the drug every 5-6 hours.

The pills came in 300mg doses. I decided to try one just to see the effect. I felt pretty much nothing that couldn't be attributed to placebo... most of the 'effects' I felt were mild anxiety symptoms. I was expecting more classic stimulant effects, but there were none. I tried it on another day at 600mg and again felt nothing.

Then, I tried it when I'd been awake for over 40 hours and had some stuff I needed to do. I decided to try adrafinil, 300mg. Within a half hour, I was feeling a little more alert. Within an hour, while I still knew I was tired and was a little cloudy headed, I felt almost normally alert. When I began to feel drowsy again in about 4 or 5 hours, I took another 300mg and was soon back to near full alertness.

Adrafinil had almost zero noticable effect when taken while alert. Subsequent tests have shown that the anxiety-like effects I had the first trial were all placebo. There are no noticable effects from this drug at all when taken while sober and alert. May as well be a sugar pill. However, if taken when I am tired to the point of delerium and struggling to stay awake, it will give me a state of alertness almost as complete as if I'd had a good night's sleep. Adrafinil has no euphoric or 'stimulant' effects and therefore is of zero recreational value. If you need to stay awake for many hours without sleep though, its invaluable. I definately would like to stockpile it while its legal. Shame that modafinil is now a Scheduled drug in the US and an insanely pricey drug elsewhere. I'd love to compare the two.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 22332
Published: Jun 30, 2003Views: 33,402
Adrafinil (216) : General (1), Health Benefits (32), Alone (16)