Dear Erowid Readers: We're a small nonprofit that runs the top drug information website in the world. We have only 4 staff but serve 12 million users, and have costs like any big website: servers, power, office space, programs, and staff. To protect our independence, we don't run ads or take government funds. If everyone reading this gave $3, our fundraising would be done today. If Erowid is useful to you, take a minute to keep it online and ad-free another year!
Donate by Bitcoin
Great Caution Should Be Taken w/ MAOIs
Syrian Rue, Mushrooms & 5-MeO-DMT
by Admenuem
Citation:   Admenuem. "Great Caution Should Be Taken w/ MAOIs: An Experience with Syrian Rue, Mushrooms & 5-MeO-DMT (ID 22329)". Erowid.org. Mar 8, 2004. erowid.org/exp/22329

DOSE: T+ 0:00 7.0 g oral Syrian Rue (seeds)
  T+ 0:25 3.5 g oral Mushrooms (plant material)
  T+ 3:45 1.5 mg smoked 5-MeO-DMT (powder / crystals)

I write this not to recount the subjective details of the experience but to serve as a warning to those interested in the MAOI + 5-meo-dmt combo. Here is a quick recount of the trip in general. This was done alone, inside.

T+0:00 - Dosed 7 grams syrian rue water to resin extract.

T+0:25 - Dosed 3.5 grams psilocybe mushrooms

0:25
T~+3:00 - The trip has calmed down a bit and I am in the familiar maoi/mushroom trance. I smoke a cig and play a game of tetris.

T~+3:45 - I decide to try a very very small dose of 5-meo-dmt that I packed previous to the trip. A couple grains (~1 or 2mg). Using a foil and straw, I vaporise the small amount of chemical. I miss much of the smoke, and only get a very small taste of the 5-meo (I'm not expecting any noticible effect).

T~3:46 - The rush is slow to start. I feel it coming. It gains on me quicker. This is not very comfortable (I can't believe such a small amount is doing this) but I don't feel in serious trouble.

T~3:47 - The sensation is radiating through my body and I feel very zen'ed out. Breathing is becoming more and more labored though. I am starting to feel a little woozy.

(approx 5 min of struggling with woozyness and catching breath)

T~3:52 - I can't recall really but I remember feeling like the drug had ran its course at one point shortly after I started feeling sick. I held down the nausea, and tried to catch my breath again. The sensation came back though, stronger. I had to vomit. I got up and went to the sink (not too much trouble moving). I tried to vomit. No luck. Tried again. No luck. The sensation grew stronger.

T~?:?? - I wake up (or come back... or something). I'm on the floor which is very cold lying in a contorted fetal position. I feel very glad to be alive, and hope that I didn't hurt myself if I fell (I could have layed down... I couldn't remember.) I'm not exactly sure where I am and then I begin feeling the sickness again. I vomit on the floor, twice. Then I feel perfectly fine. I get up and go to bed. Still feeling sorta good from the maoi/mushrooms.

It was a scary experience. Not something I want to try again. However, waking up in the floor as I did was a wonderful feeling of rebirth, which is very much what 5-meo-dmt is about. Maybe some people would like this combo or can tolerate it better, but be prepared for the worst.

Admenuem