It's Erowid's 20th Anniversary!
Help us keep going for another twenty with a small donation?
Erowid is a global information resource. We're an educational non-profit working to provide an honest look at psychoactives. Accurate info is required in order to move forward with research, drug law reform, and safer use. This work is made possible by small donations and memberships (get our newsletter!).
Great Caution Should Be Taken w/ MAOIs
Syrian Rue, Mushrooms & 5-MeO-DMT
by Admenuem
Citation:   Admenuem. "Great Caution Should Be Taken w/ MAOIs: An Experience with Syrian Rue, Mushrooms & 5-MeO-DMT (ID 22329)". Erowid.org. Mar 8, 2004. erowid.org/exp/22329

DOSE: T+ 0:00 7.0 g oral Syrian Rue (seeds)
  T+ 0:25 3.5 g oral Mushrooms (plant material)
  T+ 3:45 1.5 mg smoked 5-MeO-DMT (powder / crystals)

I write this not to recount the subjective details of the experience but to serve as a warning to those interested in the MAOI + 5-meo-dmt combo. Here is a quick recount of the trip in general. This was done alone, inside.

T+0:00 - Dosed 7 grams syrian rue water to resin extract.

T+0:25 - Dosed 3.5 grams psilocybe mushrooms

0:25
T~+3:00 - The trip has calmed down a bit and I am in the familiar maoi/mushroom trance. I smoke a cig and play a game of tetris.

T~+3:45 - I decide to try a very very small dose of 5-meo-dmt that I packed previous to the trip. A couple grains (~1 or 2mg). Using a foil and straw, I vaporise the small amount of chemical. I miss much of the smoke, and only get a very small taste of the 5-meo (I'm not expecting any noticible effect).

T~3:46 - The rush is slow to start. I feel it coming. It gains on me quicker. This is not very comfortable (I can't believe such a small amount is doing this) but I don't feel in serious trouble.

T~3:47 - The sensation is radiating through my body and I feel very zen'ed out. Breathing is becoming more and more labored though. I am starting to feel a little woozy.

(approx 5 min of struggling with woozyness and catching breath)

T~3:52 - I can't recall really but I remember feeling like the drug had ran its course at one point shortly after I started feeling sick. I held down the nausea, and tried to catch my breath again. The sensation came back though, stronger. I had to vomit. I got up and went to the sink (not too much trouble moving). I tried to vomit. No luck. Tried again. No luck. The sensation grew stronger.

T~?:?? - I wake up (or come back... or something). I'm on the floor which is very cold lying in a contorted fetal position. I feel very glad to be alive, and hope that I didn't hurt myself if I fell (I could have layed down... I couldn't remember.) I'm not exactly sure where I am and then I begin feeling the sickness again. I vomit on the floor, twice. Then I feel perfectly fine. I get up and go to bed. Still feeling sorta good from the maoi/mushrooms.

It was a scary experience. Not something I want to try again. However, waking up in the floor as I did was a wonderful feeling of rebirth, which is very much what 5-meo-dmt is about. Maybe some people would like this combo or can tolerate it better, but be prepared for the worst.

Admenuem