More than 2 million people use Erowid every month.
During the pandemic, only 70 of those contribute $1 or more.
Donations are down significantly. Please Contribute.
Forget Tea, Make Capsules
Calea zacatechichi
by chaz-spain
Citation:   chaz-spain. "Forget Tea, Make Capsules: An Experience with Calea zacatechichi (exp22108)". Erowid.org. Oct 20, 2003. erowid.org/exp/22108

2 capsls oral Calea zacatechichi (dried)

How bad can boiled leaves possibly taste? So bad you’d want to chuck everything you’d just bought into the trash…

I made a spliff out of dried leaves and flowers first. I would register this as “no effect”, although I felt slightly light-headed afterward. I attribute this to the fact that I am a non-smoker, and inhaling anything rather than pure air would do the same.

That night I made tea, measuring about 3 large tablespoons to a liter of water, for my wife and I. I put a ton of honey in it, but it was still God-awful--unbearably bitter and nasty tasting. I normally dream quite a bit, and so does my wife; that night was normal, a few dreams, nothing especially intense. We were disappointed; I thought perhaps what I received was old product, or I hadn’t made the tea strong enough.

Two nights later I crushed and chopped a large handful of leaves and flowers as finely as I could, and stuffed it into capsules. I ate two before going to bed; my wife declined. During my very first dream (that I remember, anyway), I suddenly realized I was dreaming. I thought “lucid dream!” and tried some tricks to stay there, like looking at my hands and feet. I was too excited though, and woke up. However, my wife looked strange in bed next to me, and both our children were in the bed as well, crying. I was still dreaming. Finally, I woke up for real.

I got out of bed and expected to feel strange, like I was high or hallucinating still from the plant. However, I felt completely normal. I find it amazing that this plant could only be psychoactive when dreaming, but that was the effect with me. When I went back to sleep, I continued to have intense dreams, but none were lucid. The next morning I awoke feeling normal, no residual physical or mental effects.

I will certainly try the capsules again, but am not sure if it’s necessary to wait a length of time, or if repeated use has reduced effects, or can be harmful to my mental or physical health in some way. Instinctively, I tend to doubt it. All in all it was pretty amazing, since I've had lucid dreams only once or twice before in my life.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 22108
Published: Oct 20, 2003Views: 36,642
Calea zacatechichi (97), Dreams (85) : Glowing Experiences (4), Alone (16)