Review Erowid at GreatNonprofits.org!
Help us be a "Top Rated Nonprofit" for the 10th year in a row
and spread info about psychoactive drugs, health, culture, & policies.
The Clinking of Countless Spent Whippets
Nitrous Oxide
by Anonymous
Citation:   Anonymous. "The Clinking of Countless Spent Whippets: An Experience with Nitrous Oxide (exp21998)". Erowid.org. Mar 11, 2010. erowid.org/exp/21998

repeated inhaled Nitrous Oxide (gas)

I had heard of laughing gas since I was a child, but never had any appreciation for it until I started inhaling it on a regular basis. I ordered a couple boxes of whippets, and over the next week, inhaled them all. The rush I felt was incredible, and nitrous became my drug of choice. The intense euphoria and mindtrip was addictive, and I began buying boxes of whippets in bulk.

In about three months, I inhaled over 2500 whippets. Whenever I emptied my trash can, I could hear the clinking of countless spent whippets. I never felt like I was out of control. I scoffed at the name 'hippy-crack', after all, it was just a simple gas. My daily intake was about 15-20 whippets. While under the influence of another drug, my consumption would sometimes cross 150. Many of my friends occasionally inhaled as well; I supplied, as I always had tons of nitrous oxide, but none did it to my degree. Every time I took a hit of nitrous, I was reminded how wonderful it was and how unique I felt for appreciating nitrous for its true potential.

However, as time passed, I began to notice adverse effects. I would never properly sleep. It felt like I was always in a waking dream. My circulation began to suffer, and I would grow light-headed (accompanied with headaches) often and my arms and legs would tingle. I started to grow severely depressed. I took B-12 supplements to counteract the depleting effects of nitrous. Single hits no longer gave me a noticeable effect, and I was double and triple dosing.

I ignored (or didn't take seriously) these warning signs and continued to inhale. My last binge was about 60 whippets while I was tripping in my room. After I was done, my brain felt like mush, and for the first time, it truly hit me how much nitrous I inhaled. I felt ashamed for myself and for 'wasting' so much nitrous. The following week, I finished my remaining 8 whippets and haven't inhaled in over a month.

I have respect for nitrous and continue to think it is a wonderful drug. It mixes well with every drug I have combined it with, and will launch me into outer space and then bring me down just as gently.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 21998
Published: Mar 11, 2010Views: 23,069
Nitrous Oxide (40) : Retrospective / Summary (11), Addiction & Habituation (10), Not Applicable (38)