More than 2 million people use Erowid every month.
During the pandemic, only 70 of those contribute $1 or more.
Donations are down significantly. Please Contribute.
Switching Realities
Salvia divinorum
by Anonymous
Citation:   Anonymous. "Switching Realities: An Experience with Salvia divinorum (exp2139)". Erowid.org. Jun 26, 2000. erowid.org/exp/2139

2 hits smoked Salvia divinorum

This was my first time, and I guess I was lucky, because it was amazing. I was a bit chicken, after reading some reports of it being more powerful than 5 grams of mushrooms and that sort of thing, so for my first time I only used about half of a bowl. I prepared a bed, lined with about 10 pillows, so I was definitely comfortable. I had no lights on, and had Peter Gabriel's Passion Sources album playing softly.

I first took a small hit, and then a large one which I held for a long time. The first thing to happen was for my vision (I could still see a little, from a small digital clock in the room) to just spin out of control, into a tunnel. I got a bit nervous, reaching for the light. With the light on, I felt a little strange, but no visual activity, so I mustered up some courage, shut off the music and shut it back out. I layed back and relaxed.

What happened was wonderful. At first I kept switching realities. This is something that has been happening to me at random lately, even when not on anything, but not like this. Usually I just feel like I was just somewhere else, and I have a thought in my head that I FEEL has something to do with where I just was. (I know that sounds strange) But I very rarely get even a whole distinct thought. Well with the salvia, I was completly somewhere and someone else. I lived a complete life, had a complete memory of this life, and was was just putting something on a shelf when I snapped back here to who I am. This sort of thing happened about three times. In one of them, the only thing I was aware of was that someone had just let out a blood curdling scream. I was back here instantly, although I was scared that someone in my house had just heard that scream, but luckly it wasn't me screaming.

After this I just enjoyed some morphing color patches. They were not very bright, but very beautiful. Then the plant starting to talk with me. It was definatly female. I felt as if my mother was holding me as an infant, but unlike my mother- - This was somehow more comforting. I felt better than I have ever felt in a trip. I felt more comfortable than with opium if you can believe it. I talked with the plant for about a half an hour. The effects wore off, and I just layed there astonished for about 2 hours. I just sat up and started typing at 3am.

Greatest plant experience of my life. The plant was very intelligent, Some of the things discussed were intensely personal, and some were the plant's own feelings, which is something I have never experienced. I am sorry I am so blunt about just bluting this thing out, without all that much explanation or analysis, but I am just blown away.

Exp Year: ExpID: 2139
Published: Jun 26, 2000Views: 173,019
Salvia divinorum (44) : First Times (2), Glowing Experiences (4), Alone (16)