Did you know that Erowid has a print publication?
Erowid Extracts is published twice a year for members.
Withdrawal of Service
Clonidine
by Ghoulish
Citation:   Ghoulish. "Withdrawal of Service: An Experience with Clonidine (exp20341)". Erowid.org. May 24, 2006. erowid.org/exp/20341

0.2 mg oral Pharms - Clonidine (daily)

After several attempts to quit without it, I went to a doctor and requested this substance for opiate withdrawl.

The first attempt, I went 6 days without any opiates and then relapsed. The second time, however, I managed to stay off opiates for over a month, which seemed to reduce my tolerance to a level where one opiate experience every few weeks did not induce withdrawl afterwards.

It is a *very* sedating drug, even at the .1mg level. .2mg caused ~18 hours of narcolepsy, with sleep usually occuring after meals. I assumed this was due to a rise in my bloodsugar. Lightheadedness was more extreme than I've experienced with any other substance, necessitating that I droop my head for a few minutes after standing up to avoid fainting (or at least loss of vision). Mentally, it caused emotional numbing, which is quite a welcome experience in the midst of opium withdrawl. It also had a anti-muscarinic/anti-cholinergic properties, which stopped my sweating and rhinorrhea quite nicely.

I took half and quarter tablets for about a week as well as some additional lorazepam (which is very efficacious for many kinds of agitation) to my regimen.

Clonidine is truly a blessing.

Exp Year: 2002ExpID: 20341