Erowid - Honest Global Drug Information
Bad Trip
MDMA (Ecstasy) & 5-HTP
by DJ Dizzave
Citation:   DJ Dizzave. "Bad Trip: An Experience with MDMA (Ecstasy) & 5-HTP (exp18310)". Erowid.org. Dec 30, 2004. erowid.org/exp/18310

350 mg oral Tryptophan - 5-HTP (pill / tablet)
  1 tablet oral MDMA (pill / tablet)

Me and a bunch of friends decided to go to the club on a thursday night. We had planned it out, and I would would be dropping with one other friend this evening. I'd done it twice before, but not for 4 months or so. I took a bunch of 5-htp, because the previous time, it really increased my experience. I didn't take as much this time, because last time, when I started coming down and took about 7 5-htp pills (about 350mg at once) I got nausea and vomitted several times. Not very pleasant, but after doing so, I felt just fine. This time, however, I started rolling as soon as I got into the club. I got the usual first couple of minutes of nausea as I realize whats happening, but then, as we're sitting down inside, waiting for the rest of the group to arrive, I started getting really paranoid, and I start sweating profusely. Sweat was absolutely running off of my face, and the rest of my body. I was going ok, and a friend got me some ice, and some napkins. This had never happened before, so I thought I got a pill of something else. I couldn't think straight, everyone looked weird (not LSD weird, but just weird) and the music was pulsing in my head, and I wanted it to stop, but I felt that if it were to stop, I would feel worse.

I ran to the bathroom, and vomitted everything I ate that night. I look back now, and I think it was serotonin syndrome. I had the best come-down I've ever had, and the day and week after weren't bad at all. I don't know what triggered it, and as I search on the net, it says that usually mixing an SSRI with an MAOI causes it. I don't take either. Maybe it was just the 5-htp causing me to roll too hard. Anyways, I'm rolling again this week, and hopefully it will all be good.

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 18310
Published: Dec 30, 2004Views: 23,291
MDMA (3), Tryptophan - 5-HTP (196) : Combinations (3), Bad Trips (6), Overdose (29), Club / Bar (25)