Support accurate info and harm reduction.
Donate $50+ and get a Know Your DrugsData tee
Can't Bare Children
DXM with CPM
by Kalieldriel
Citation:   Kalieldriel. "Can't Bare Children: An Experience with DXM with CPM (exp17136)". Erowid.org. Jan 12, 2007. erowid.org/exp/17136

oral DXM (pill / tablet)

[Erowid Note: Most Coricidin contains CPM (Chlorpheniramine Maleate) which can be dangerous in high doses. See DXM Brand Warnings for more info.]

I started tripping off of Coricidin when I was 13 years old. I had been really sick with a cold and all we had in the house was Coricidin. I took the recommended dosage and forgot about it. Later I took 2 more, and I wasn't feeling much better, so I took 2 extra. I figured that taking a few extra pills couldn't hurt.

I was on the computer at the time that I started to experience the first symptoms. At the time I had absolutely no clue what tripping was. At that time I hadn't even smoked pot, nor did I want to. [note: the first few years of doing coricidin I never had one negitive symptom] I began to feel confused, the room started to blur. I was scared because I didn't understand what was going on.

I heard my parents come home so I got up to go to my room and found that I was too heavy to walk and ended up having to crawl to my room. I spent the rest of the night on my bed, watching the lights flash and things walk through my room. I thought that I was going to die.

I went to school the next day and told a friend what had happend to me. She told me all about how people 'trip' off dextromethophan, or DXM, the active ingredient in many cold medicines. I felt relieved in knowing that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

A few months later my parents began going through a divorce and no one was ever at my house. I all of a sudden had a life of freedom. I didn't need to worry about parents anymore. I started smoking weed, and tripping at least twice a weekend and during the summer at least 4 times a week. I found some other friends that did it with me just as frequently and loved it as much as I did. When school came back around I would go to school on Coricidin.

That went on for two years.

The dose I normally took was 8-12 pills, it was all I had ever needed. But that dose just wasn't cutting it anymore-- it would hit me like I had smoked a little weed and then disappear. So I started taking the whole box, which is 16.

I continued the same tripping pattern with my friends for another two years or so. However, towards middle of the third year I began to throw up at the begining of my trips.

To make a long story short, my husband and I had been trying to have a baby for a little while. I went to a doctor and found out that I am unable to have children.

I find it odd that I and all other girls in my trip circle are unable to have children. The years I spent doing coricidn had a price? I still trip on it to this very day. I have nothing to lose now.

Exp Year: 2002ExpID: 17136
Published: Jan 12, 2007Views: 20,528
Chlorpheniramine Maleate (164), DXM (22) : Various (28), Post Trip Problems (8), Health Problems (27)