Donate BTC or other Cryptocurrency
Your donation supports practical, accurate info about psychoactive
plants & drugs. We accept 9 cryptocurrencies. Contribute a bit today!
I Tried That. . .To No Effect
Absinthe
by Ricky
Citation:   Ricky. "I Tried That. . .To No Effect: An Experience with Absinthe (exp15283)". Erowid.org. Jun 28, 2005. erowid.org/exp/15283

25 ml oral Absinthe (liquid)

About six years ago I read an article in the Daily Mail newspaper about a company that were planning to re-market Absinthe in the UK; it seemed that said company had just discovered that Absinthe, though banned in most of Europe and the US, had never actually been legally banned in the UK. Thus, they were free to market it as they wished!

The Daily Mail continued the article with brief historical notes (they did of course mention Van Gogh, Picasso, etc), and an indication that absithe contained some kind of mind altering drug. And then: how outragoeus that this Europe-wide banned substance is going to be on our shelves soon. Ban it! Ban it!

Needless to say, it's a rather 'conservative' paper (and thats being polite). I'm ashamed I ever bought and read it.

Anyhow, imagine my delight when I spotted a bottle in my local supermarket! It was 30(roughly $55) for 500ml, which is pricey, but I had to try it (I checked their website, and theirs has the highest thujone content available in Britian).

So I settled in my lounge with my bottle and ice. My first glass (neat over ice, 25 ml) gave me that warm feeling; So I had my second glass; and a third; do I feel any different than I would from a good Vodka?? Do I feel lucid?? Or Dizzy?? A fourth; a fith; a sixth. . .

No. No. I feel absoulutely the same as if I'd drunk Vodka, or scotch. My conclusion is that absinthe, in the dose I took it (ie, not years of abusing it!) has no effect at all, other that that of any other strong alcoholic drink.

I enjoyed it none the less. It tastes like thick vodka soaked with aniseed balls, with a lovely green colour added.

Exp Year: 2002ExpID: 15283
Published: Jun 28, 2005Views: 1,564
Absinthe (4) : Alone (16), First Times (2)