Donate During Erowid's Support-a-thon!
Each September, we ask YOU to support reliable drug information and
help us reach a new high for the number of donations in a single month.
This year our goal is 1,249. [see progress]
We still need 679 donations ($5+) by the end of September!

Donate by Bitcoin
Trying to Get the Right Dosage
Amanita muscaria v. muscaria
by BBQ
Citation:   BBQ. "Trying to Get the Right Dosage: An Experience with Amanita muscaria v. muscaria (exp12486)". Erowid.org. Jan 25, 2005. erowid.org/exp/12486

3.75 g oral Amanitas - A. muscaria (ground / crushed)
  T+ 1:00 3.75 g oral Amanitas - A. muscaria (ground / crushed)
  T+ 2:00 3.75 g oral Amanitas - A. muscaria (ground / crushed)

My wife and I enjoy recreationally tripping, and shrooms sounded like an interesting thing to do. We ordered 60g of grade A+ Amanitas Muscarias v. Muscarias from a reliable catalog on the internet. They arrived at my house packed in zip-lock bags 7 days later.

In preparation, we ground up 30g of dried mushrooms using our coffee grinder. This turned out to be a bad idea, given that the resulting mushroom powder was not water soluble as we had expected, making the mushrooms harder to consume (more on that later). I 'eyeballed' the 30g in 8 equal parts. Everyone but the pope had urged us not to do more than 5g initially, because one can't predict the potency of the shroom harvest, nature has a way of tricking us, blah, blah, blah... So we decided to do an initial 4g each, and maybe give it another 4g booster one hour later if things weren't picking-up.

Trying to dissolve the 4g of mushroom powder in a glass of water was a bad idea. Not only did the powder not dissolve in the water, it stuck to the side of the glass making it very hard to get to (I managed to get everything by sticking my finger in the glass and licking it). My wife tried to dissolve her 4g with Coca-Cola (she hates the taste of any sort of mushrooms), which ended up being even messier than my water. Now we understand why the correct way to do it is making tea.

T+ 0:00: We both drink down our shares at approximately 11:00am. Tastes funky, but not unbareable.

T+ 0:20: We were sweating a bit at the palms, salivating a lot, and a general feeling of physical discomfort set in. We couldn't seem to find any position to sit still in.

T+ 0:30: The both of us were feeling a very mild buzz, probably the equivalent to half a bottle of wine.

T+ 0:40: My wife was in the bathroom puking her guts out. Immediately after she puked she start feeling fine again. I was doing okay, no nausea whatsoever.

T+ 1:00: I decide that I need a boost. I down another dose. My wife decides to trip sit me, and call it a day...

T+ 1:30: I'm definitely in a euphoric state. I pace up and down the living room as I've noticed that if I sit still for too long, I get extremely nauseated. Walking around is very nice and everything seems soft. Heavy synesthesia! I can smell the sounds coming from the TV. I can taste the smell of the incense burning (Jasmine, I believe).

T+ 1:50: Euphoria peaking. I can't stand the nausea and have to puke. This is not the easy puking while drunk, or too high on MDA. Puking hurts and is extremely hard to do. But, after spending two minutes retching, I'm completely fine again.

T+ 2:00 I want visuals, so I decide to give another booster (11.25g total), but can't manage to swallow the shroom powder. I puke a little after taking the 1st sip. I give up on that idea and decide to sit down and watch TV.

Time loss sets in, we take a short nap (maybe 1 hour long), when we wake up, I'm completely tripping on a 'perpetual state of deja vu'. It seems that even my thoughts have already been thought. Extreme clarity and focus. I perceive infinity and impossibility as being the opposite of finite and possible. My wife notices that I'm staring mindlessly at the wall and asks, 'Are you awake?'
'I'm afraid to talk' I whisper.
'Why?'
'Because the impossible of the impossible is possible!' I'm starting to get excited again.
'No, the impossible of the impossible is even more impossible', she says, at this point completely sober and very aware that I, on the other hand, have gone completely bonkers.
'Wait, I'm going to explain it to you in 4 minutes. 4 minutes!!' I start laughing uncontrollably 'Look! Its possible! We're reaching the border. Itís coming! Look! Look! THERE!!! Did you see it? Did you? Itís gone, its possible!'

In my mind, this all made perfect sense at the time, though right now I have a hard time explaining what I was thinking or trying to point out to her. Something along the lines of ďthe infinite is the opposite of finite, which is like the flip-side of time. Everything is predictable if time is finite...' Nah! Who cares? I was REALLY tripping on the deja vu sensation.

T+ 4:30: I'm slowly starting to come down. We go grocery shopping and I walk behind the grocery cart like a happy zombie walking on cotton-paved alleys. I'm sorta grumpy. So is my wife. I canít decide on my mood. Itís confusingÖ

T+ 6:00: My sense of smell is still very acute. Everything else seems normal. No traces of confusion. Iím not grumpy or happy. Just back to my old normal self.

Closing Thoughts:

It was an interesting 1st timer, but if I do amanita mushrooms again it is going to be MORE than the initial 7.5g. That was a bad idea. I should have done 10g at least to get started. The problem is that once I puke, there is no chance of getting a second dose. Either I get the dosage right the first time, or I'm screwed.

My wife says she'll never do shrooms again. At 3.75g the buzz was as mild as half a bottle of wine, but she wouldn't have puked from wine.

Exp Year: 2002ExpID: 12486
Published: Jan 25, 2005Views: 58,364
Amanitas - A. muscaria (70) : Small Group (2-9) (17), First Times (2)