Citation: Uncle Tom. "Somewhat Interesting, but Not a Huge Deal: An Experience with Tramadol (exp114904)". Erowid.org. Feb 28, 2021. erowid.org/exp/114904
I'll try to give a comprehensive account of my on-and-off experiences with Tramadol.
I'm Asian-Caucasian, male, 42, weigh 147 lbs (66.6 kg), somewhat fit, previously athletic but no longer so, semi sedentary, lean build, 5'8". I have a few beers once or twice a week, an occasional nicotine gum just out of boredom, drink a lot of coffee. I can climb 20 flights of stairs without thinking much about it.
I would call myself an occasional recreational user of over-the-counter drugs. In the past I've tripped individually on weed, dextromethorphan, diphenhydramine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (which I won't name here). Note, I said INDIVIDUALLY, not in combination.
I've been on and off tramadol for around 6 months as of time of writing. Various brands of tramadol are available to me in tablet or pill form. I have no real pattern of use.
On some days I'd take two, three, four... seldom ever really exceeding 6 (300mg). I might take them all at once or spread them throughout the day. I might take them for three or four days straight, quit for a day or three, take them for a whole week, go a week or two without- no real pattern. Knowing that there's potential for physical dependence and some seizure risk, I personally try not to exceed 300mg/day nor binge for more than 3 days at a time. I try to stay clean for two days between use. I have noticed some tolerance begin to build, and I acknowledge that a dependence to this thing can really sneak up on you.
Onset: any dose: 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours
Peak: at around 3 hours. Peak lasts for around 2-4 hours for me, then effects taper off. Pretty much clear after 9-12 hours, for low doses. Longer for higher doses.
100mg can be felt for around 6 hours. Higher doses intensify and lengthen the peak. My single dose sweet spot seems to be around 300mg (6 pills or tablets), any higher causes a number of unwanted effects which I will discuss later.
Notable Mental Effects
Lower doses: Generally, my normal disposition is somewhat cranky, cynical, impatient and not very sociable. Tramadol 50mg to 100mg will give me a rather good disposition for around 24 hours. I become genuinely pleasant, socially at ease, and compliant. Lately it has become something of a crutch when I know I have something important to do and don't feel like doing it but don't want to be an asshole. Strangely, I find that I no longer enjoy music as much when on tramadol. I love to listen to all genres of music. On tramadol, music becomes boring to listen to.
Higher doses: Euphoria. Subtle fuzzyness and cloudiness, but not anywhere near like what alcohol does.
Notable Physical Effects
Now this is interesting. I'll relate these in bullet form.
- Mild tiredness and sleepiness simply disappear.
- Any mild physical discomfort disappears. I won't notice my tight shoes, itchy shirt, aching finger etc.
- Desire to stretch one's muscles disappears. Good if I want to sit still for extended periods. Bad if I fall asleep on my arm.
- Desire to yawn stops. Tramadol seems to blunt the body's sensitivity to carbon dioxide.
- I find that I can exercise a lot more on tramadol, to the point of hurting myself, specifically my joints.
- Mild hunger disappears.
- If I feel like burping or farting, the sensation of needing to do so gets rather blunted.
- The sensation of having to urinate gets blunted. And when taking a piss, I'm not really sure if I've voided it all.
- My pee smells pretty bad.
- Constipation for days. Normally, I'd take a dump daily. I don't feel like taking a shit much. Sometimes I have to alleviate this with nicotine gum.
- When I do take a shit, it will smell horrible.
- Random annoying itching, especially on the come-down. Resolves itself in around 24 hours.
- Facial dryness, skin flaking.
- Libido goes bye-bye.
Higher doses: My skin becomes numb. I may rub and rub and scratch and not realize I've hurt myself until after the come-down. On the plus side, I can pop a pimple without any pain.
I'm too lazy to write a conclusion, but yeah, I think I'll keep taking it recreationally till I get bored.
COPYRIGHTS: All reports are copyright Erowid and you agree not to download or analyze the report data without contacting Erowid Center and receiving permission first.
Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the individual authors who submit them.
Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.