Get the Erowid "Words" T-shirt
Contribute $50 and show support for accurate drug information!
The Flare Took Eight Months to Fade
Melatonin
by Blue Zinnia
Citation:   Blue Zinnia. "The Flare Took Eight Months to Fade: An Experience with Melatonin (exp113057)". Erowid.org. Apr 15, 2019. erowid.org/exp/113057

5 mg oral Melatonin (daily)

Female, age 57. Dosage, 5 mg at bedtime, per package directions. Weight, 130 kg.

I began taking melatonin for insomnia. The sleeplessness was from pain--I have multiple orthopedic and neuromuscular problems--but as a recovering alcoholic, while I can take gabapentin and Celebrex, I can't take heavy painkillers unless the pain is unbearable, and it seemed to me that some help with actual sleepiness might be a useful thing to try instead.

It worked. I got sleepier, and got more sleep despite pain. I had no next-day somnolence after the first couple of days. I kept it up for several weeks, thinking I'd found a helpful adjunct. Then I started getting sicker.
Then even sicker. The pain was horribly worse, and so were the fatigue, cognitive fog and IBS.

My physical problems, y'see, are autoimmune--the immune system is stuck in high gear and attacks the body's own tissues as if they were invaders. And no one had bothered to tell me that melatonin is a strong immune stimulant. I had thrown myself into an extremely severe and lasting flareup by goosing my immune system, hard, every 24 hours for weeks.

Additionally, soon thereafter, I had a coronary. It wasn't caused by melatonin, but the docs say the increased autoimmune response may have helped trigger it by creating inflammation in artery walls.
The flare I'd precipitated took eight months to fade, and the cardiac damage is permanent.

Exp Year: 2007ExpID: 113057
Published: Apr 15, 2019Views: 1,632
Melatonin (94) : Health Problems (27), Alone (16)