Review Erowid at
Help us be a "Top Rated Nonprofit" again this year and spread
honest info (good or bad) about psychedelics & other psychoactive drugs.
("Share Your Story" link. Needs quick login creation but no verification of contact info)
Far More Dissociation Than Normal
Lamictal & Cannabis
Citation:   androgyn. "Far More Dissociation Than Normal: An Experience with Lamictal & Cannabis (exp112107)". Jul 19, 2018.

100 mg oral Pharms - Lamotrigine (daily)
Lamictal & Cannabis - Dissociation Is....Eh.

I've been taking Lamictal for just over three months now and I am a regular cannabis user. Both are legally prescribed to me, Lamictal for BPD/Bipolar and cannabis for recurrent joint/back pain. (Keep in mind I only use flower and its 'dosage' is based in weight since I don't have exact measurements of the THC levels.)

I take four 25mg of Lamictal, two pills in the morning and two at night (100mg in total.) Its been about a month since I completed titration. I've been smoking during all of this and haven't noticed any weird interactions until now.

I've noticed an increase in fatigue and dizziness. When I titrated onto the Lamictal I did experience bouts of dizziness, but they weren't as severe. I really do feel as if I'm going to actually pass out sometimes, especially when standing for too long. I thought it was just me locking my knees or something, but even when I'm all loose and comfortable, I get the sensation.

I've also felt as if I don't experience the thc high the same as I did prior to taking it. I experience far more dissociation than normal
I've also felt as if I don't experience the thc high the same as I did prior to taking it. I experience far more dissociation than normal
, it gets to the point where I'm sometimes entirely non-responsive. Thousand yard stare, still as can be and fully checked out mentally. Could be pre-existing psychiatric issues being exacerbated, I'm not totally sure. Something to look out for though.

Sometimes, I get some visual distortion. Especially when I'm on my cell phone. Images will seem to spin or contort slightly, almost as if they're spiraling down a drain. When I try to focus my eyes on it, it will disappear or lessen.

A few days ago I also experienced an auditory hallucination while on just 50mg Lamictal and about 1.5g of flower. I had taken my morning dose and smoked a fat bowl, I wasn't feeling good physically so I decided to sleep in. I heard my phone vibrate and my ringer went off but it sounded HEAVILY distorted. Like the voice of Satan was chopped and played through a megaphone. Scared out of my mind and stoned to hell, I checked my phone and saw nothing. No calls, notifications, anything. I quickly went to bed.

I haven't had an auditory hallucination so vivid in years, the last time it happened was on Seroquel (~50mg) and nothing else. As before, could be pre-existing but still worth sharing.

Due to chronic pain and psychiatric necessity, I will keep taking both as I do. Usually when taking both I see a major improvement in mood and considerably less anxiety. Hopefully, these few uncomfortable experiences don't happen again as both substances GREATLY improve my mental state and quality of life 99% of the time. These times mentioned above though definitely take residence in the other 1%. Hopefully others like me, that use both substances, don't experience too much bad interaction. I will keep a journal to log any other weird experiences while on Lamictal.

Stay safe out there!

Exp Year: 2018ExpID: 112107
Gender: Not Specified 
Age at time of experience: 20
Published: Jul 19, 2018Views: 3,482
[ View PDF (to print) ] [ View LaTeX (for geeks) ] [ Swap Dark/Light ]
Pharms - Lamotrigine  (432) : Health Problems (27), Medical Use (47), Combinations (3), Not Applicable (38)

COPYRIGHTS: All reports copyright Erowid.
No AI Training use allowed without written permission.
TERMS OF USE: By accessing this page, you agree not to download, analyze, distill, reuse, digest, or feed into any AI-type system the report data without first contacting Erowid Center and receiving written permission.

Experience Reports are the writings and opinions of the authors who submit them. Some of the activities described are dangerous and/or illegal and none are recommended by Erowid Center.

Experience Vaults Index Full List of Substances Search Submit Report User Settings About Main Psychoactive Vaults