Nightmares That Seemed Very Real
Trazodone, Clonazepam, DXM & Guaifenesin
by WillTomFrank
Citation:   WillTomFrank. "Nightmares That Seemed Very Real: An Experience with Trazodone, Clonazepam, DXM & Guaifenesin (exp109616)". Erowid.org. Dec 7, 2016. erowid.org/exp/109616

100 mg oral Pharms - Trazodone
  0.5 mg oral Pharms - Clonazepam
  60 mg oral DXM

Serotonin Syndrome

I am prescribed Trazodone for insomnia and Clonazepam for anxiety. Typically I take the Clonazepam in the am and the Trazodone just before bed. This is a brief description of an incident I had while experiencing a cold.

Day one I felt like shit all day due to my cold so I took both my Clonazepam and my Trazodone at about noon. I woke up around 4pm and still felt like shit. I didn't even have any dreams during my nap. I usually have dreams on my medication. I took some good ol Mucinex which contained about 60mg of DXM. I rocked along and went back to bed around 9 that night after residing my meds. I experienced vivid dreams that were fantastic in nature.

Day two I woke up and had a slight tingling all over my body for a few minutes that faded away. I again took meds at noon for a nap. I was unable to fall asleep but felt a little dopey. At 8 I took some more Mucinex. The dreams set in and were of the same quality. I experienced odd visuals and held odd conversations with people I hadn't seen in years.

Day three I woke up and experienced the same tingling feeling throughout the day. My tingling sensations were interrupted by numbness. I took a noon dose of my meds and felt no different. At about 9 I took a double dose of my meds and some more Mucinex. I had nightmares that night that seemed very real I was very terrified. I just remembered thinking over and over how real everything seemed as I ran from what I can only describe as demons. I began fighting demons in my living room when I hit my knee on my coffee table and I realized I was actually in my living room sweating and flailing about. I had visuals throughout the day out of the corner of my eyes.

I checked the combinations of all my meds on Drugs.com and found through the reactions checker that Trazodone and DXM can cause a condition known as Serotonin Syndrome. The side effects include hallucinations and vivid dreams and in rare cases can cause death. It took about 48 hours for my body to feel normal again. I now know to stay the hell away from DXM when I'm dosing my meds.

Exp Year: 2016ExpID: 109616
Published: Dec 7, 2016Views: 2,722
Pharms - Trazodone (294), DXM (22) : Health Problems (27), Medical Use (47), Entities / Beings (37), Combinations (3), Alone (16)