responses to an online survey from those who have
used a psychedelic while in a romantic relationship.
Couples especially invited to participate.
Better Focus Less Side-Effects
Yerba Mate
by whatever
Citation:   whatever. "Better Focus Less Side-Effects: An Experience with Yerba Mate (exp104845)". Erowid.org. Jun 17, 2020. erowid.org/exp/104845

4 Tbsp oral Yerba Mate (tea)

I used to be a kinda heavy coffee drinker (at least for my sensitivity, Iím really sensitive to all kinds of drugs), drinking 3-5 big cups a day (almost twice the size of a regular cup). After deciding to live more healthily I stopped drinking coffee for a while, then started again with 1-2 regular sized cups per day - It was nice to get the same effects with a much smaller dose, but the tolerance built up kinda quickly again.

Iíve always been a fan of Club Mate, where I live, itís a really popular drink in certain communities, but itís also kinda expensive and just not the same as making a nice cup of coffee - which is sort of a ritual to me. So I decided to buy yerba mate herbs and make some tea with it. I was kinda surprised about the aftertaste, which tasted exactly the same as Club Mate.

I didnít even finish the cup yet when I started feeling the effects. Huge motivation boost, elevated mood, but thatís something I get from coffee from time to time too, nothing special. After finishing the cup I decided to make some green tea because I felt like it (when I stopped drinking coffee I kinda fell in love with green tea). After taking the first sip while reading a paper I started to feel the real effects of the mate - Everything else in my vision got kind of blurry, I didnít focus on it at all, not even when something moved. Usually I look to the side when something happens (or when something happens on the other screen I look at that screen, even while reading), but this time I didnít have the feeling at all. I just continued reading, soaking up the words and just feeling motivated, concentrated, and good.

I mightíve drank a bit too much for my body, and next time Iíll probably use like 2 tbsp, because the experience was similar to the focus I get when drinking too much coffee, except that drinking too much coffee also makes me feel sick, jittery, stressed, etc.

Yerba Mate is definitely a nice experience and a good substitute for coffee, I still feel concentrated but relaxed at the same time, not stressed like when I drink coffee.

Exp Year: 2014ExpID: 104845
Published: Jun 17, 2020Views: 773
Yerba Mate (282) : General (1), Alone (16)