Universal Extraction Technique: Straight to Beeby VideoEditor
(format & minor edits by metanoid)
[ Back to the Chemistry Archive ]
The following is for educational and informational purposes only. It is not the posters intent that this information be used for anything that would be considered illegal or in violation of any international laws. The poster accepts no responsibility for any and all activities that may be carried out as a result of the information contained herein. Check your local, state and federal laws. The poster shall not be held liable and indemnified from impeachment for the use, misuse, injury, death, imprisonment or fellation due to the application of this information.
Extraction Technique: Straight to Bee--The New
- Purpose -
SWIVE has only been doing free base reactions so his goal was to create a fast, clean method for producing psuedo free base from an ever changing array of pills. He believes this technique will accomplish just that. No pre washing, no soaking, no red removal. It's not a water less A/B in fact, it's just the B and thats why he calls it "Straight to Bee". It is totally OTC and uses activated carbon as a cleaning aide while exploiting the lazy characteristics of VM&P naptha. This method was written to be easily scalable. Average yield is 60% of very clean free base.
- Definitions -
In this write up SWIVE will use the phrase "for every box of pills used"
This stands for every box of 48 x 60mg, or 96 x 30mg, or 20 x 120mg.
In addition SWIVE will use the phrase "for every gram of total pill mass"
This stands for the total weight of the pills before grinding.
Text appearing in red denotes actions that should bee followed exactly for best results.
Text appearing in green denotes FAQS. (frequently asked questions)
- Materials -
One beaker or other heat proof glassware
- Optional Materials -
Gassing setup if HCL salt is desired outcome
- Abstract of Procedure -
Combine Pills with activated carbon, NaCl, NaOH and Na2CO3.
- Standard Procedure -
01) Weigh pills and record total weight.
02) Place pills into a clean coffee grinder.
03) For every box of pills used add:
- 2 grams of washing soda
What if it all won't fit in the coffee grinder. Process about 3 - 4 boxes at a time.
Why am I adding salt? To attract water and to act as an abrasive to aid in grinding.
Why am I adding washing soda? To act as a buffering agent.
After grinding the mixture becomes hot and doesn't sift well? Carbon sold for aquarium filtration may contain excess moisture. The moisture content will be apparent when the carbon is ground. Moist carbon will tend to cake on the side of the grinder, and will feel moist. If the carbon is moist, dry it before use by heating in an oven or microwave. Take precautions handling the heated carbon to avoid burns. Allow the carbon to cool before grinding or combining with other ingredients. Store any unused dried carbon in an air tight container.
04) Grind the mixture to a fine powder. Its important that we grind the mixture as fine and uniformly as possible, about the consistency of coarse flour.
05) Sift the mixture into the beaker using a wire mesh strainer placed inside a large funnel to minimize dusting. When grinding and sifting be careful with vents, fans and open windows so your pseudo doesn't blow away as dust. You also dont want to inhale NaOH or carbon dust. Let the dust settle in the coffee grinder before opening the lid.
06) For every gram of total pill mass add:
- 1.5ml dry acetone
This measurement will get you in the ball park. We want the mixture to be a liquid at this point, not a paste. Add more acetone in small increments as the mixture will go from stiff to fluid very quickly. Acetone used for this purpose should be dried before use, as the moisture content of acetone can vary over such a wide range that the only way to obtain consistent results it to dry the acetone before use.
07) For every box of pills used add while stirring:
- 3 drops DH2O (use the baby medicine dropper)
Why are we using dry acetone and then adding water? Since the amount of moisture present is critical for proper basing, and the water content of non-dried acetone is widely variable, the only way to accurately control the moisture available for basing is to dry the acetone first, then add a measured amount of water.
08) Stir with a glass rod for about 3 to 4 minutes. The mixture will slowly thicken to a wet paste.
09) For every box of pills used add:
- 1.0 gram corn starch
10) Stir for a few minutes. The mixture will become very stiff and the consistency of damp potting soil, with no signs of visible liquid. Add more cornstarch in very small increments if nessesary.
Why the cornstarch? The cornstarch is a great absorbent and helps to dry our mixture fast. When drying the cornstarch will keep our mixture from turning into hard little rocks and when powdered again keeps the mixture free flowing. It also will help absorb waxy gak when we extract our free base.
11) Spread out the mixture on the pie plate(s) and let dry completely. It will dry fast because the carbon has increased the surface area of our mixture.
12) When completely dry sift the mixture back into the beaker using the wire mesh strainer placed inside a large funnel.
13) For every box of pills used add:
- 35ml Naptha
14) Mix well. Then place the beaker on the hot plate set to med high heat. With constant gentle stirring, heat the mixture until boiling. Turn heat off and continue to stir for 1 minute. Remove from hot plate and set aside to let the solids settle out for a few minutes.
Isn't boiling naptha dangerous? Boiling any flammable solvent is an extremely dangerous practice. Solvents should not be heated over an open flame or on any apparatus that is capable of producing a spark. This includes defective or damaged electric hot plates. Adequate ventilation is required. This should not be done in a closed environment due to risk of explosion and/or fire and due to health concerns regarding inhalation of solvent fumes. The constant use of a fan positioned to blow across the solvent will disburse the vapor, reduce the risk of fire and explosion.
15) While waiting, make a charmin filter. Take 4 plys of charmin and fold three times to make a square. Fold that over once and then once again to make a quarter square. Completely wet the square with some clean naptha using the medicine dropper and place the pad into the bottom of funnel across the neck. The Charmin should not be "packed" or "compressed". Gently mold the edges around the contour of the funnel bottom. Wet it again with naptha and place this filter-funnel into the erlenmeyer flask.
16) Slowly decant the naptha into the funnel in small amounts and allow it to filter through the Charmin into the flask. Don't pour in more than can pass through the charmin in more or less real time. If you make a big puddle it may start to crystalize in the funnel clogging the filter. The filtered naptha should be crystal clear. Free base crystals will start to form in the filtrate. Set the flask aside.
17) For every box of pills used add:
- 20ml Naptha
18) Mix well. Then place the beaker on the hot plate set to med high heat. With constant gentle stirring, heat the mixture until boiling. Turn heat off and continue to stir for 1 minute. Remove from hot plate and set aside to let the solids settle out for a minute.
19) Slowly decant the naptha into the same filter-funnel in small amounts and allow it to filter through the Charmin into the flask combining filtrates. Don't pour in more than can pass through the charmin in more or less real time. Do not replace the charmin, continue to re-use the same pad.
20) For every box of pills used add:
- 10ml Naptha
21) Mix well. Then place the beaker on the hot plate set to med high heat. With constant gentle stirring, heat the mixture until boiling. Turn heat off and continue to stir for 1 minute. Remove from hot plate.
22) Slowly decant the naptha into the same filter-funnel in small amounts and allow it to filter through the Charmin into the flask combining filtrates. Then empty the entire contents of the beaker into the filter funnel and let drain.
23) While draining boil a small amount of naptha about 5 ml for every box of pills used. When all the liquid appears to have drained through, pour the boiling naptha over the filter cake and let it drain again. Then take a large spoon and press down on top of filter cake squeezing any remaining naptha into the flask.
Should I do a fourth pull. You can try but tests have shown its usually not enough gain to justify the effort. Only do additional pulls if the end result is less than 45%
24) Place the erlenmeyer flask with the combined filtrate on the hot plate set to med high. Heat to boiling or until all crystals have re-dissolved. Pour the hot filtrate into clean pie plate(s).
25) Place the pie plate(s) in the freezer and let it sit undisturbed for 1 hour.
26) Remove the pie plate(s) from the freezer and pour off the used naptha filtering out free base crystals using a coffee filter. Let the collected free base crystals dry. Some crystals may adhere to the pie plate. Let them dry before removing.
27) After filtering crystals out return the used naptha to the beaker. Return all filtered solids including the charmin filter to the beaker. Break solids up with a glass rod and mix well. Return to hot plate on med high heat. With constant gentle stirring bring the used mixture back to boiling. Let boil for 1 minute. Turn heat off but leave beaker on hot plate. Make a new charmin filter as per previous step 15. Filter liquid first, then add remaining solids to funel to drain. Then take a large spoon and press down on top of filter cake squeezing any remaining naptha into the flask. Place into freezer again for at least 30 minutes. SWIVE has been picking up a few extra percent and it helped recover one botched batch that would of been poor otherwise.
28) The remaining naptha does contain some additional pseudoephedrine free base. You may wash the naptha thoroughly with warm distilled water and titrate to obtain the remaining pseudoephedrine in HCL form. This pseudoephedrine HCL will not be as clean as the free base, and will need to be rinsed with acetone, then recrystallized twice before being added to a reaction. The use of this pseudoephedrine with the free base is not recommended. This pseudoephedrine HCl can be accumulated until the quantity is sufficient to react by itself.
29) If the HCL salt is the desired outcome, redissolve the free base crystals in to a non polar and gas accordingly. Do Not gas the original Naptha. If you gas the original naptha you will pick up unwanted contaminants. You may alternatively move the free base crystals into a small quantity of dH2O and add HCl drop wise with stirring until the free base crystals all dissolve. Evaporate over low heat until this alligators over, then flash with dry acetone. Filter the acetone and pseudoehphedrine HCL though a coffee filter, rinse with acetone, allow to dry.
- Calculating Yield -
When calculating your yield remember to adjust for free base.
Pseudo HCl is about 202gr per mole and psuedo free base is about 166gr per mole. So 166 divided by 202 is a ratio of 0.82 So potential yield from 1 box of 120's would be 20 x 120 x 0.82 = 1.9 grams free base vs 2.4 grams for psuedo HCl.
- Advantages and Disadvantages -
The technique should be, for the near future, virtually universal. It should successfully extract most pseudoephedrine pills. The materials are easily available and draw less attention than xylene and tolulene purchases. Yields should range in the sixty percent range. The pseudoephedrine so obtained will be very clean--characteristic of A/B extractions of pseudoephedrine. The main disadvantage is heating a flamable solvent.
- Acknowledgements -
Created in a dream by SWIVE. This would not of been possible without the fearless contributions of many bees and the invaluable database we call the Hive. A special thanks goes to the Geezmeister, MnkyBoy77 and Scottydog for donating their time, wisdom and valuable precursors to field test this technique.
Has shown to be effective with pills containing the following ingredients:
30 mg "red hots,"
Pseudoephedrine HCl 60 mg
Pseudoephedrine HCl 60 mg
Pseudoephedrine HCl 60 mg
Pseudoephedrine Hcl 120 mg
Pseudoephedrine Hcl 240 mg
withheld pending further notice regarding board policy
- Time -
SWIVE can run it in about 3 hours start to finish, 4 hours with the fourth pull. The first few times I would allow 5 hours to bee safe until you get the feel of it.
Start reading all of Jacked's posts on freebase reactions. They are a great reference and it is how SWIVE learned. SWIVE has his own quirky method now, but study Jacked's first so you really understand the fundementals of whats happening.
Here's the bottom line on yield.
Each box of pills used has the potential or 1.9 grams of free base. This is equivalent to 2.4 grams of the HCL salt.
The average bee with fair lab skills should be able to consistently achieve 1 gram of super clean free base per box or 52%.
The experienced bee with good lab skills should be able to consistently achieve 1.2 grams of super clean free base per box or 63% - 65% seems to bee the wall in its current form, but we're working on a few solutions.
Crystallization can take two different forms.
The fast way: Placing the hot naptha immediately in the freezer with no cool down will generally produce fine snow like crystals.
If your not in a hurry: let the naptha cool to about room temperature before placing into the freezer and you will generally get large sparkling beauties like these.
Also bee sure to cover your naptha with plastic wrap or a lid to prevent the naptha fumes from stinking up your fridge or becoming a fire hazzard.