Opium for the Masses
A Practical Guide to Growing Poppies and Making Opium
Pub Date :
Edition(s) at Erowid :
FROM THE EROWID REVIEW #
- Review by Erowid, 1998 May 28
This well known guide to growing poppies and extracting opium presents useful information in a format and style accessible to just about everyone. I'm disappointed that there's no footnotes or references, though there is a brief bibliography. Useful as a basic source of information about opium and poppies, but doesn't go into great depth in any particular area. . . . (more)
INFO & DISCUSSIONS #
- Mar 3, 2010 - How the DEA Scrubbed Thomas Jefferson's Monticello Poppy Garden from Public Memory - about a re-release of Opium for the Masses (2009)
BACK COVER #Opium. Known as "The Mother of All Analgesics," it's probably the greatest pain killer ever discovered. Opium is the parent of morphine, heroin, laudanum, Darvocet, Darvon, and many other pain relievers. Opium causes poets to rhapsodize and nations to go to war. "Religion...is the opium of the people," said Karl Marx, but some people insist on the real thing.
In Opium for the Masses, Jim Hogshire tells you everything you want to know about the beloved poppy and its amazing properties, including:
- What does the opium high feel like?
- How addictive is opium? How hard is it to kick?
- The stunning similarities between opium and your body's natural endorphines.
- What is the strongest drug in the world?
- Morphine and its derivatives, both pharmaceutical and street.
- How to grow opium poppies
- Sources for fertile poppy seeds
- How to harvest the opium from a crop of poppies
- How to make poppy tea.
- Other ways of making and ingesting opium
- amd much more.
Jim Hogshire, the author of Sell Yourself to Science, is an expert on the history of medicines. As he reveals the secrets of the seductive opium poppy, he tells the sad story of the prescription drugs: doctors, drug makers and governments prohibiting natural remedies in favor of harsh synthetic derivatives.
Opium for the Masses includes rare photopraphs and detailed illustrations that bring this magnificent plant to life. Don't miss this humorous, informative and practical guide to the most popular painkiller in the world.