Help Erowid by reviewing us at Great Nonprofits
Using Kava to Counter Marijuana Anxiety
Cannabis & Kava
by Chill
Citation:   Chill. "Using Kava to Counter Marijuana Anxiety: An Experience with Cannabis & Kava (ID 9536)". Erowid.org. Jul 6, 2005. erowid.org/exp/9536

DOSE: 4 drops oral Kava (liquid)

Just thought I'd share a nice experiment. As many do, I occasionally enjoy smoking Marijuana. However, as I've gotten older I've found that I experience more paranoia or other types of mental discomfort when smoking, which is sometimes OK, but not as the rule.

At to counter those negative effects, I tried to drink some alcohol before smoking. This usually decreased the paranoia, but often left me too wasted and often I'd have a hell of a hangover the next day (I generally don't like alcohol...it hurts too much).

So I started to look around for a better way to remove the anxiety related effects of Marijuana and leave the pleasant effects. I started to read about Kava Kava and figured since it is often used as an anti-anxiety medicine and is freely available it might work well.

It does the trick. About 3-4 droppers of the standardized Kava does the job nicely. Available at most any vitamin type place for about $10 for a bottle, the standardized version apparently adheres to a European law that requires standard strengh. Thus I suggest that one to insure consistency of effect.

The normal dose is one dropper 3 times a day. I even though I use 3-4 droppers at once before smoking, I wouldn't advise using more in a day. I've read that over-use can cause skin irritations.

I take the Kava about 30-45 minutes before smoking in a little juice, then fire up. It gives you such a nice buzz and you feel really just totally relaxed and pleasant. One subtle side effect is that you may really want to sleep about 3 hours after this, but you'll wake up refreshed and rested for sure! This is a great approach for folks like me who are occasional weekend type users and just like to relax with a smoke now and again.

The Kava is handy for general anxiety too...feel stressed...no problem have some Kava alone and it'll help to calm your nerves.

Enjoy!