Help Erowid win a 2014 Nonprofit Award!
...by rating and reviewing us at Great Nonprofits
Drastic Mixture
Rhodiola rosea & Amphetamines
by Eric
Citation:   Eric. "Drastic Mixture: An Experience with Rhodiola rosea & Amphetamines (ID 92852)". Erowid.org. Jan 2, 2012. erowid.org/exp/92852

DOSE: T+ 0:00 500 mg oral Rhodiola rosea
  T+ 1:30 35 oral Amphetamines

I took a 500mg Rhodiola pill in the morning. An hour or two later I began taking my Adderall prescription, which usually climbs slowly to about 40mg while I'm studying.

The effects were drastic. My appetite disappeared, which was never an issue after 4+ years with an Adderall prescription. My brain felt like it was going to explode. Physical side effects like nail-biting and twitchiness seemed more acute than usual. I was unable to focus because I felt so tweaked.

This was the second time I mixed the two. The first time I mixed them right before bed and didn't fall asleep until 6am. The only reason that I tried again is that I didn't realize how strongly they interacted.

Further research revealed that Rhodiola inhibits the neurotransmitters that Adderall overproduces. So, even though my experience was a bad one, others might find Rhodiola useful if they want to enhance the effects of Adderall. But I suggest you experiment cautiously.

Exp Year: 2010ExpID: 92852