Modern humans must learn how to relate to psychoactives
responsibly, treating them with respect and awareness,
working to minimize harms and maximize benefits, and
integrating use into a healthy, enjoyable, and productive life.
Diphenhydramine HCl
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
by KW
Citation:   KW. "Diphenhydramine HCl: An Experience with Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) (ID 924)". Erowid.org. Feb 27, 2001. erowid.org/exp/924

DOSE: 8 tablets oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)
  4 tablets oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)

I have only misused Benadryl once. I took 8-10 .025 mg tablets of Diphenhydramine HCL, and several more about an hour later -- about 15 in total, but possibly more. I was in my dorm room alone, and as I lay there watching TV I began to feel the effects of the drug (approx. 30-45 minutes after injestion). I felt slightly euphoric and listening to music was extremely enjoyable, but, aside from the amazement which I felt at seeing visuals some time later, this euphoria was the only good thing about the experience. I soon began to see hallucinations: tiny dots of light seemed to fly across my field of vision; and it seemed as if, out of the corner of my eye, there was rapid movement of some sort; my brown carpet would, if I stared long enough, seem fluid like rippling water.

My most impressive visual occurred as I lay on the couch looking at the wall. A blob (it looked like a large, tangled bunch of yarn) of intertwined red and green threads floated slwoly through the air and hovered there before my eyes. If I reached for the blob or turned away, it disappeared, but I could make it appear again by staring intently at the wall. When I glanced away from the television, I could see a black, shadowy form resembling it on the wall. This phenomenon was much like that of staring at the sun for a brief moment and then quickly closing one's eyes. I felt slightly afraid of and annoyed with these visuals, but very easily remembered that I was only feeling the effects of a drug.

But this drug, as pleasant and LSD-like as it may sound, was not fun! Much of the time I felt as if I wanted to jump out of my skin; I had tremors for 5 minutes at a time during which I'd twitch and writhe and scratch; I sometimes felt an overwhelming sense of doom and saddness; I was extremely fatigued. These fits came far too often, and made the experience a miserable one. In addition, I overslept, missed work, and felt nauseous for most of the next day. I immediately threw the rest of my Benadryl away. So take my word it and leave this shit alone -- or do it yourself and see why this hallucinogenic, powerful as it is, is so infrequently used for recreational purposes. Cheers.

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 924