Two Days Left in Erowid's Public Support Drive!
September is our annual public support drive, when we ask YOU to join with the community to support reliable, independent drug information and help us get more unique contributors than ever before in a single month. [details]

Donate by Bitcoin
Benadryl Trip Equals Sleep
Diphenhydramine
by ally cat
Citation:   ally cat. "Benadryl Trip Equals Sleep: An Experience with Diphenhydramine (ID 8234)". Erowid.org. Aug 5, 2004. erowid.org/exp/8234

DOSE: 350 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)

At the time of this experience, the only drug I had ever tried was marijuana, and alcohol. This was my first experience w/ any sort of hallucinogen.

Mood: really pissed off and bored
Dose: 14 25 mg pills (Benadryl)
Time:8:45 pm

Waited around until 9:30, I decided to go for a walk. The state fair was going on about a mile from my house so I took a walk up there. I got home from my excursion at 10:45, and still didn't feel anything. Then at 11:15, I got extremely tired. I guess that was the antihistamines kicking in. I was sitting down then, and I decided to get up and go in my room to sleep but in getting up, I discovered that my balance was almost completely gone. It was kind of like a drunk feeling. I made it to my bed and fell into a heavy daze-drifting in and out of sleep. I always toss and turn before I can fall asleep and this night it was soooo hard to move. Every time I rolled over, it took such an effort to pull my arms with my body. They felt like they weighed 1000+ pounds each. This went on for 20 minutes maybe...Time seemed to be lapsed so I'm not really sure.

I must have fallen asleep though because at 12:30 my mom came in my room and woke me up. I didnít look at the clock right away so I thought it was the next morning and she was waking me up to go to work (I had to be there at 7:00) But my parents had just come home and she just came in to tell me that. I was awake from then until around 2:30. During that time, I was in this fucked up daze state. The only visuals I experienced was sometime between 12:30 and 2:30 when I opened my eyes and saw all sorts of bushes and trees in front of me...kind of rainforest-like...kind of scary. The last time I looked at my clock it was 2:02. I fell asleep shortly after that. My mom came in again at 6:30 the next morning to wake me up to go to work. I was still a little out of it-my balance was off, although not as much as before. On the drive to work, I saw a bunch of hot air balloons flying (yes, they were really there, they were being flown because the fair was in town) The balloons looked really, really pretty and extremely 3-dimensional. My depth perception seemed to be enhanced a lot from the drug. I got to work at 7:30, still a little fucked up.

I noticed that it was really hard to get what was in my head out. My words kept getting jumbled up, and I was told by a co-worker that I wasn't making any sense, and to just stop talking. By 8:00 that morning I was more or less baseline. The only after-effects were extreme tiredness (seeing as I only got about 3 hours of sleep) and memory loss. I was having a lot of trouble paying attention and retaining information (maybe from lack of sleep)

experience: not pleasant, but not bad.
duration: about 10 hours.

I did this again (donít ask me why) a few months later.

Dose: 17 pills (425 mg) of Benadryl
Effects: Much the same-very tired-fell asleep. Woke up sometime in the night to go to the bathroom-loss of balance. Looked in toilet before sitting down to pee and saw that the water turned black and there were bugs floating around. Told myself it was a hallucination and sucked it up and sat down and peed anyways. Went back to sleep. Slept through the rest of the trip.

I donít recommend this drug. The only good thing I got out of it was lots of sleep (which I needed)

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 8234