Tough economic times hurt Erowid Center.
Help by making a small contribution.
Benadryl Trip Equals Sleep
Diphenhydramine
by ally cat
Citation:   ally cat. "Benadryl Trip Equals Sleep: An Experience with Diphenhydramine (ID 8234)". Erowid.org. Aug 5, 2004. erowid.org/exp/8234

DOSE: 350 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)

At the time of this experience, the only drug I had ever tried was marijuana, and alcohol. This was my first experience w/ any sort of hallucinogen.

Mood: really pissed off and bored
Dose: 14 25 mg pills (Benadryl)
Time:8:45 pm

Waited around until 9:30, I decided to go for a walk. The state fair was going on about a mile from my house so I took a walk up there. I got home from my excursion at 10:45, and still didn't feel anything. Then at 11:15, I got extremely tired. I guess that was the antihistamines kicking in. I was sitting down then, and I decided to get up and go in my room to sleep but in getting up, I discovered that my balance was almost completely gone. It was kind of like a drunk feeling. I made it to my bed and fell into a heavy daze-drifting in and out of sleep. I always toss and turn before I can fall asleep and this night it was soooo hard to move. Every time I rolled over, it took such an effort to pull my arms with my body. They felt like they weighed 1000+ pounds each. This went on for 20 minutes maybe...Time seemed to be lapsed so I'm not really sure.

I must have fallen asleep though because at 12:30 my mom came in my room and woke me up. I didnít look at the clock right away so I thought it was the next morning and she was waking me up to go to work (I had to be there at 7:00) But my parents had just come home and she just came in to tell me that. I was awake from then until around 2:30. During that time, I was in this fucked up daze state. The only visuals I experienced was sometime between 12:30 and 2:30 when I opened my eyes and saw all sorts of bushes and trees in front of me...kind of rainforest-like...kind of scary. The last time I looked at my clock it was 2:02. I fell asleep shortly after that. My mom came in again at 6:30 the next morning to wake me up to go to work. I was still a little out of it-my balance was off, although not as much as before. On the drive to work, I saw a bunch of hot air balloons flying (yes, they were really there, they were being flown because the fair was in town) The balloons looked really, really pretty and extremely 3-dimensional. My depth perception seemed to be enhanced a lot from the drug. I got to work at 7:30, still a little fucked up.

I noticed that it was really hard to get what was in my head out. My words kept getting jumbled up, and I was told by a co-worker that I wasn't making any sense, and to just stop talking. By 8:00 that morning I was more or less baseline. The only after-effects were extreme tiredness (seeing as I only got about 3 hours of sleep) and memory loss. I was having a lot of trouble paying attention and retaining information (maybe from lack of sleep)

experience: not pleasant, but not bad.
duration: about 10 hours.

I did this again (donít ask me why) a few months later.

Dose: 17 pills (425 mg) of Benadryl
Effects: Much the same-very tired-fell asleep. Woke up sometime in the night to go to the bathroom-loss of balance. Looked in toilet before sitting down to pee and saw that the water turned black and there were bugs floating around. Told myself it was a hallucination and sucked it up and sat down and peed anyways. Went back to sleep. Slept through the rest of the trip.

I donít recommend this drug. The only good thing I got out of it was lots of sleep (which I needed)

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 8234