Erowid relies on the generosity of the public for funding.
Please include Erowid Center in your charitable giving plans.
Sleepwalker
Valerian
by Nasty Pants
Citation:   Nasty Pants. "Sleepwalker: An Experience with Valerian (ID 75971)". Erowid.org. Jan 9, 2009. erowid.org/exp/75971

DOSE: 2.12 g oral Valerian (tea)

I've taken Valerian root before, using it to attain a lucid state and as a dream aid. My last experiments with this were in the summer and resulted in very vivid nightmares and a very frightening OBE. I stopped using it entirely until yesterday.

Last night, after a family Christmas party, I was feeling quite restless and decided to take some Valerian to help me get to sleep. I have a bottle of Valerian pills, capsules containing the ground root at about 530 mg each. I took 4 of them, emptied them out onto a coffee filter, and made a tea. I let the bag seep for 10 minutes and poured it into another mug. I did this 4 times and them emptied the rest of the bag into the tea.

I downed the tea right before bed. I slept like a baby, and had a dream that I was back in high school and my friends had all grown mustaches. Real weird, but it gets weirder. Apparently, I had slept walked in the night. A bunch of stuff was moved around and misplaced, including my wallet, and an antique milk bottle was half way filled with water and resting on my couch. The other half had been poured onto the carpet. I don't remember doing any of this.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 75971